We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long from Custer SP to Devil's Tower?

Which Custer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
9 posts
Save Topic
How long from Custer SP to Devil's Tower?

We are planning on driving from Custer State Park to Devil's Tower and back one day of our trip later this month and was wondering if someone could suggest a good route and tell me how long we should allot for this trip (planning one full day).

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,072 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long from Custer SP to Devil's Tower?

If you plan to drive up thru Deadwood and make a quick stop at Mt. Moriah cemetery and drive down thru town and on to Devils Tower it will take about 3 hours one way. Route is up hwy 16 north and then on to I 90.

If you go straight there then it should take about 2 1/2 hours or a little less one way. Route is out hwy 16 west and up hwy 85 north.

Didn't know what your plans were or if into history of the area- we did the quick stop in Deadwood and on to Devils Tower.

Good luck!!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long from Custer SP to Devil's Tower?

You could also make a stop at Spearfish Canyon. Rt. 85 will take you to the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway (Rt. 14A). After driving the byway, you could head on to Devil's Tower and stop in Deadwood on the way back before returning to CSP. You could come back Rt. 385 for a change of scenery.

Atlanta, Georgia
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long from Custer SP to Devil's Tower?

Peachbelle and sir travelplan, thanks so much for the help. I think we may both of your advice and head up one way and back the other...

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
91 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long from Custer SP to Devil's Tower?

If you plan to walk around the Devil's Tower, I would head there first, then work your way back. That way you know how much daylight you have left / driving time if you don't want to be driving back in the dark.

Atlanta, Georgia
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long from Custer SP to Devil's Tower?

Great advice,thanks!

6. Re: How long from Custer SP to Devil's Tower?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:17