We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custer to Rapid City by way of Devils Tower

I&E
New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Custer to Rapid City by way of Devils Tower

On our last day we would like to travel from Custer to Devils Tower then to Spearfish Canyon and then finally to our hotel in Rapid City for an early morning flight home. Is this a realistic plan? if so how long would be the driving segments and how long should we plan to spend at Devils Tower and Spearfish. We are moderate hikers and would like to stretch our legs. Recommended hikes and also driving directions would be greatly appreciated

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Custer to Rapid City by way of Devils Tower

I'd recommend driving through Spearfish Canyon on the way to Devil's Tower. It will take about 1.5 hours from Custer to the entrance of Spearfish Canyon. The drive itself is about 20 miles and would take abour 45 mins with no stops. Getting out to hike, I'd allot 1.5-2 hours. Here's a listing of some hikes:

moon.com/destinations/…hiking

Devil's Tower is about an hour from Spearfish. I'd plan on another 2 hours there to see the Tower, walk the base, and check out the prairie dog town. From there, it's about 2 hours back to Rapid.

With an early start (7 or 8 a.m.), this is a full day, but manageable.

Please let us know if we can assist you further.

I&E
New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Custer to Rapid City by way of Devils Tower

Thanks so much. What is the best way to drive from Custer to the Canyon and the Canyon Byway?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Custer to Rapid City by way of Devils Tower

I would head up 385 (north) to Lead. It's very scenic. From there, you can pick up 85S briefly to 14A which will take you into the canyon via the byway.

If you don't have one already, be sure to order a travel guide from travelsd.com. There's a great map inside that will help you tremendously. Plus, it will give you a great overview of the area.

4. Re: Custer to Rapid City by way of Devils Tower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 05:16