We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking footwear

KC
Level Contributor
136 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
hiking footwear

anyone do any recent hiking in the Black Hills? if so...did you wear "hiking boots" or just your usual athletic shoes or what? We will be doing the 6 mile Harney Peak trail and my guess is that any good quality shoes will suffice. My wife, however, bought herself some hiking boots.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking footwear

I never wear boots, but I dont' consider myself a die hard hiker either. I wear a "hiking sneaker" on our walks in all the parks and have excellent luck for what we do. It is a good quality shoe (Merrell), and I seldom have foot pain. They are the "only" shoes for serious walking/hiking, IMO.

I have not done the Harney Peak Hike, as I know my limitations. However, I know someone who has, and she didn't consider it all that difficult. She is a more serious hiker than I am.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking footwear

We are hikers and have hiked to Harney Peak on more than one occasion. There are several different trails to take to the top of the peak, some easier than others. Although even the easiest trail has some rocks and unlevel ground to cross and it is a long hike. You do not necessarily need hiking boots but definitely a good pair of shoes with a good tread. Good ankle support is helpful in deterring ankle sprains. I have hiked in both hiking boots and hiking sandals and have had no problem other than a knee problem which is now curtailing my hiking. Whether or not that can be blamed on my foot wear, I am not sure. Keep in mind there are many fantastic trails in the Custer State Park area with different levels of difficulty. You may find a good pair of hiking boots or sneakers/sandals to be advantageous, especially if you decide to hike any of the other trails, such as the Sunday Gulch Trail which is gorgeous and a little more difficult than the Harney Peak Trails.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking footwear

I did the Harney Peak hike this summer and I did wear hiking boots. But I have also hiked Harney Peak three times previously and did not wear hiking boots on any of those occasions. I just wore decent athletic shoes and they were fine for that walk.

I'm sure your wife will enjoy the hike in her boots and you will enjoy the hike in your athletic shoes.

4. Re: hiking footwear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 05:19