We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling distance request

Which Mayrhofen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
158 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling distance request

Please could you give me some indication of driving time from Munich airport to Mayrhofen.

Also, by car, how long does it take to get to Zell am See from Mayrhofen.

Thanks.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling distance request

What time of year.

Depends on traffic and weather but from my place to Mayrhofen generally takes under 2hrs so reckon on about 2hrs and a bit. (e.g. took me only 1h30 to Kaltenbach on New Years day). Also depends what time of year (Winter??), what day and time of day. If during the week at late afternoon you will get caught up in the commuter traffic heading south on the A8 Salzburg. Weekends you may well get caught up in the holiday traffic on the A99 then A8 south.

Mayrhofen to Zell am See should be well under 2hrs. But if in Winter with bad weather who knows.

If in Winter it is law in Austria that your car should have Winter Tyres in the Winter months. In Germany it is different in that cars are required to have Winter Tyres if the prevailing weather conditions (e.g. snow and ice) would necessitate such (yes a bit woolly I know). Although I like many other people have Winter Tyres in Winter there is such no law "forcing" hire car companies to fit winter tyres and as such you have to pre-book them and at an additional cost

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling distance request

The best way Mayrhofen - Zell am See is via the Gerlos Paas and Mittersill .

Travel time without getting caught behind slower mountain traffic ( delivery trucks , bus ) will take 2 hours or slightly more.

Depending on the season - the Gerlos road can have some snow or a little ice but most always easydrive.

Again by the season- Krimml Falls makes a good stop on the way - this just off the road way.

For Munich airport to Mayrhofen - think 3 hours is better estimate - but as mentioned many variables by season, time and day-

this route via mostly autobahn can become very crowded with frequent stalls at times .

Edited: 08 January 2011, 10:16
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling distance request

Hi,

We've done these drives a few times and the advice your getting is pretty good. Munich to Mayrhofen is about 2.5 hours. Mayrhofen to Zell am See via the Gerlos pass, probably similar, about 2.5 hours. Before entering Austria, stop at a rest stop/gas station in Germany and buy a "Vignette", which is a toll sticker for Austrian highways. Cost is about 8Euro for a sticker good for 10 days.

Paul

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling distance request

Just depends on traffic but as I said it took me 1h30 on New Years day from my house in Munich to Kaltenbach (Mayrhofen another 15mins). Very little traffic on the roads but still having to deal with the Austrian 100km restriction. On 2nd January funnily enough I drove from my house in Munich to Munich Airport departures - took 35mins as it generally always does - of course you don't have to drive via my house first.

England
Level Contributor
158 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling distance request

Thank you. This is very helpful.

6. Re: Travelling distance request

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Mayrhofen