We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

Hi,

I am thinking of booking a week in this accommodation at the end of January. It would just be my partner and myself. We are both avid snowboarders so nightlife is not a big thing for us. It says on the website that the guesthouse is near to the centre of Hippach....Is this near Mayrhofen. I would be grateful for any info on Hippach / the ski area/ the guesthouse.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Mayrhofen
Mayrhofen
Tirol, Austria
cheshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

ive booked to stay there on the 14 jan . its about 4 km from mayrhofen. easier to get to the ski area as you will use the horberg lift not the penkan lift which is crazy busy esp in the morning and last thing at night (no runs back down) . you can also use the train , free with a lift pass . it will take you to other areas such as zell am ziller and kaltenbach. both great areas and much quieter. the run from zell over to gerlos is great apart from one small section which as a boarder is a bit flat , so plenty of speed needed.cant coment on hippach as ive not stayed there before.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

cheshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

also , try and get to the sports bar in the strass hotel . they have a great singer on called brian christopher. first saw him 10 years ago and again last year . found out he is on this year , well worth a look.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

If not too late - the Nill Pension is between Mayrhofen and Hippach-

not the most convenient area.

if you do not have an auto.

I believe the Pension is actually in the village Schwendau- small and not much other than a few pensions, apartmentws and cow barns-

still a nice place with austrian atmosphere - but not much to do and very limited dining-

nearest lift is the Horberg Gondola - this quickly takes you on the Penken and Gerent areras.

Ski bus available but not extra frequent-

If you go to Mayrhofen - and return at night - taxi is the best and most often only way.

Train is some distance away - would not rely on this for skiing transfers- long walk with skis boots etc.

Hippach has some fine hotels as you enter it from Schwendau area - most are 4 stars and dining can be relatively costly. A few more placers in village center including a good pizzeria .

Mentioned in this post
Mayrhofen
Mayrhofen
Tirol, Austria
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

Hi Vertical, thanks very much for the info....I decided to book Sóll instead as I have been there before and know exactly what to expect.

cheshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

im off to hippach tomorrow. thanks for the info. how far from pension nill into hippach center?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

Hippach is not a big place - center? - 2 main corners - one by the main Zillertal roadway #169 -

bank , gas station there

village center - small park, bank, ski shop several restaurants, hotels and pensions- disco.

Train station of the Zillertalbahn between these two locations

Probably 10- 15 minute walk -

cheshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

only a 5 min walk from the nill to the train station in snowboard boot. trains run every 30 mins both ways. hippach is pretty quiet with a couple of bars and a few hotels to eat in. bar were quite busy on fri/sat nights though . both ramba ramba and big ben had live music on at the weekend. the owner is very friendly but speaks no english. daughter is there most of the time and speaks good english. good sized rooms and we had a very large austrian twin.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

Stayed at the Nill last week. Its just a few metres from the main crossroads in Hippach and opposite the firestation. The ski bus to Horbergbahn stops right outside and only 5 mins to the lift. Buses at the right times to get there and back easily. Also easy to walk to the station (5 mins) for trains to Mayrhofen or Kaltenback. Really recommend Kaltenback - its the biggest and best area in the valley. Nill was basic but clean and very welcoming family run. We took the half board option to eat at the Hotel Post about 200m away. That was excellent food and value - seemed cheaper than if we had paid direct each evening for their 4 course meal with 3 options for main course. Really nice and again very friendly staff. We weren't after night life as the village is quiet and I'd say stay in Mayrhofen if you want to party. For us it was ideal. Bus to Zell from outside the Hotel Post so able to ski all resorts in the valley.Not worth going to the glacier as its very cold up there and other areas offer more varied interresting skiing. Best run is the ski route off the glacier to valley bottom.

Mentioned in this post
Mayrhofen
Mayrhofen
Tirol, Austria
midlands
Level Contributor
103 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nill Guesthouse in Mayrhofen

Just read all the messages above and can get a great deal on this place. Was thinking of doing it B&B and then eating out as I know Austria is not too expensive, however based upon what I've read would I be right in thinking we have limited options in the village?

If so can we get ski buses to Mayrhofen in the evening, for dinner and if so does anyone know what time they might stop running?.

Alternatively how much would a taxi cost to get back?

Also Crystal charge £185 for a lift pass when Inghams only charge £177, how much would it be in resort and would it be simple to buy it there.

Any help and advice welcome.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Mayrhofen
Mayrhofen
Tirol, Austria
Get answers to your questions about Mayrhofen
Recent Conversations