We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roads Toll

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Roads Toll

Hi , i am planning to travel from mayrhofen ( austria ) to venice ( Italy ) , i read a lot about the toll gates in italy & austria , but i not not able to understand the toll system .

any one can help to tell me about this toll system and how much it would cost me as toll to make that trip ( mayrhofen - Venice - Mayrhofen ) ( round trip in one day ) ????

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roads Toll

You would have to have a supersonic car in order to do that AND see something of Venice. It isn't possible.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roads Toll

You have to buy a toll sticker for the car to use Austrian motor ways. On top of it there is another toll to drive over Brenner pass into Italy. In Italy every trip on motorway must be paid at a toll booth. I guess you would end up with EUR 100 minimum. For one day the trip makes no sense - 12-14 hours in the car ?

Go to Bolzano or Lago di Garda / Verona if you want a taste of Italy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roads Toll

Hi,

The trip from Mayrhofen to Venice will take 6 to 7 hours EACH way. As stated previously, that's 12 to 14 hours in the car driving WITHOUT stopping for anything. Visit Innsbruck, Hall in Tirol, Rattenberg, etc. instead. IF you really want to visit a place in Italy, check out Brixen/Bressanone or Sterzing/Vipiteno.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roads Toll

While I would not recommend this as a day trip

you can look here for timings, routes and costs.

www.viamichelin.com

note various routes exist .

You can check with the Mayrhofen Tourist Office.

Some years ago , a day tour by bus to Venice was available.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
717 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roads Toll

Using www.viamichelin.com is very useful for European roads.

D T
Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Roads Toll

Rented a car from Avis in Frankfurt for a 5 week vacation ending in September2013, and just received a letter from Avis that we owe them $500 in toll fines from Austria (was only in Austria a couple of days), Really upset, because we always paid the tolls at toll booths, but had no idea where the other tolls were that we were supposed to pay. Additionally, Avis should have warned us to buy a toll sticker or something, but never even mentioned it. I think this is crazy outrages. Really disappointed in Avis, and will not rent from Avis again. My first time in Europe and really saved for a long time, and now the trip just got $500.00 (mostly fines for not paying something I didn't know about) more expensive. What a blow!!! And yes, if there is no toll booth, and just a sign stating toll road, well even if I could read the language, I guess I am still screwed, because how do you pay it anyway. Make sure you are aware of having to get toll stickers before you drive in Europe - I wish I was aware before hand!!! Oh - unhappy tourist from USA.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roads Toll

D T,

Sorry to hear about your expensive lesson in driving in Austria. It's something that's commonly discussed in these forums, and seeing as this is your first post here, I'd encourage you to use the forums in the planning of future trips.

Also, I have to ask... Did you let Avis know that you'd be driving their car into Austria? If you did, and they didn't tell you, shame on them. But if you didn't let them know you were going to Austria, they couldn't possibly offer you the proper advice.

Also, did you know that Austria requires you to have an International Driver's Permit (IDP) to drive there?

For you and the OP, here's the link to the Austrian website that talks about the toll vignette that's to be properly affixed to your car's windshield (scroll to the bottom of the page for the English version):

http://www.asfinag.at/en/maut/vignette

A vignette valid for 10 days costs 8.50 €.

Zed

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roads Toll

It says it in big signs by the side of the highway in internationally-recognised symbols as you enter Austria, and you surely wouldn't want anybody to remind you that you should ALWAYS read up on the local rules of the road of all countries that you will be visiting.

Edited: 24 November 2013, 10:38
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,321 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roads Toll

Exactly! I can't understand how you missed the large clear signs as you entered Austria that you need a motorway vignette. That isn't really Avis's fault. And as the vast majority of cars they hire out in Germany don't leave that country they can't afford to put vignettes on them in case they get taken across a border. Finally I'm sure you are meant to inform any hire company if you intend to take their vehicle into another country as the insurance implications could be horrific!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,223 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roads Toll

there is no problem taking a german car into Austria as regards insurance etc. but they do not allow you to go into eastern bloc countries (generally)

I know there are large signs as you enter Austria saying vignettes for sale, but really, there is no explanation of the reasons. for instance, they are only required on motorways, but if you stick to other roads, there is no need for a vignette.

but most countries now have tolls of some sort, so it is expected that a visitor should be aware and comply.

Get answers to your questions about Mayrhofen