We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking culture in Mayrhofen

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking culture in Mayrhofen

Hello there. I am returning to Mayrhofen on holiday with my family in August. My last visit was in 2009, when my little boy was only 3, and before that was 2002.

From what I recall from my last visit, there didn't seem to be any restriction on smoking, or if there was, it wasn't being enforced. My wife is very anti-smoking, and as an ex-smoker myself, I can't say that I am too keen on it. This, coupled with the changes in smoking culture in England, mean my kids have been kept out of smoky environments for some time.

Can anyone clarify what we are likely to encounter in Mayrhofen, particularly in cafes and pubs (I'm checking with the hotel directly about their restaurant and bar).

Cheers

Peter

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking culture in Mayrhofen

I'm a non smoker, and have never noticed people blatantly smoking in bars or restaurants. I don't know what the actual policy is, but Austrians and Germans are very law abiding citizens, and I'm sure that if there are rules, then they will be followed to the letter!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking culture in Mayrhofen

There is more smoking in Austria than in UK, but it has never been a huge problem for us - particularly indoors. Not noticed smoking in any hotel dining rooms recently.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking culture in Mayrhofen

But lots of smokers in bars in Austria-and some restaurants.As stated in post#2 it is noticeable how many Austrians smoke,young and older,male and female.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking culture in Mayrhofen

It's about 8 years since I last visited Mayrhofen, and don't recall noticing any smoking in bars at that time, but then I'm not particularly sensitive to it anyway. However, I was surprised and dismayed to find so many young people smoking on the pistes and on the terraces outside the ski rasthofs.

Garry

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking culture in Mayrhofen

old topic. however, i have never seen any person smoking on the piste! how on earth could that be managed, what with wind, ski poles, gloves etc???

as for smoking outside the restaurants? what of it...it is in the open and it would not worry me (a non-smoker). if someone wants to hasten their end, so be it.

Vienna
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking culture in Mayrhofen

Every place must have non smoking areas and in many public places there is a ban but it is not like in UK.

portsmouth
Destination Expert
for Mayrhofen
Level Contributor
584 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking culture in Mayrhofen

There is a couple of bars in mayrhofen that allows smoking but most of the tourist hotels and bars have no smoking

8. Re: Smoking culture in Mayrhofen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Mayrhofen
Recent Conversations