We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in January

Which Saalbach-Hinterglemm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Snow in January

Hi

I've been reading about Saalbach and that it is lower than other resorts and therefore not as snow reliable. Does anyone know traditionally whether mid January has good snow? Is there a webpage with the snow depth history? Can anyone give me feedback on their experiences skiing mid January.

thanks

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snow in January

Nicole,

Travel options from Munich:

1) Holiday Shuttle (as above) also operate a Munich Airport - Saalbach shuttle - or VIP taxis.

2) Rent a car - it's about a 3-hour drive on a good day but can take far longer on a snowy day with heavy holiday traffic (the Shuttle drivers know all the short-cuts and back roads to avoid the worst traffic). You don't need a car in S-H, and do you really want to drive an unfamiliar car on snow-covered roads after many hours in a plane? You can see, I don't particularly recommend this.

3) Train from Munich Airport to Zell am See - will may need to change once or twice, but it's an easy 3-4 hour journey and German/Austrian railways are very comfortable and efficient. From Zell am See, take a taxi from outside the station for the last 16km to Saalbach.

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snow in January

Nicole I have skied in Hintergleem co-joined) for the past three January's and the snow has been excellent. One word of caution saalbach is a lot more boisterous than hinterglemm. If you can afford it stay at the Alpine Palace. Amazing staff food and atmosphere

13. Re: Snow in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Saalbach-Hinterglemm