We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzkammergut in december for couple of days

mumbai
Level Contributor
111 posts
64 reviews
Salzkammergut in december for couple of days

Hi,

As part of our italy/austria honeymoon trip in december, am planning to visit the lake district. I have 4 days in and around salzburg of which I'd like to spend couple of days visiting the salzkammergut lake district. I have a few questions that i'm looking for some help with:

1) should i do day trips to the lake district based out of salzburg e.g. salzburg-hallstatt-salzburg one day and salzburg-wolfgangsee-salzburg another day

2) should I just spend couple of nights in some central base e.g. bad ischl and do day trips from there to hallstatt or wolfgang see etc

3) We would not be having a car with us so would be using public transport. is it easy to get around and get in the major sights keeping in mind this is winter and some services may be reduced?

would appreciate any guidance, suggestions with this

cheers

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,922 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Salzkammergut in december for couple of days

If you intend to stay there more than a day, I would base myself in Bad Ischl which is a strategically-well located town. Bad Ischl is a transportation hub with both, rail and bus access. Bus #150 links Bad Ischl with Salzburg City. Public transport basically good in the area but write down the departure times and do a little preplanning.

2. Re: Salzkammergut in december for couple of days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about St Gilgen