We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Salzburg / hiking in St Gilgen

Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Bus from Salzburg / hiking in St Gilgen

Hello-

Thanks to the recommendation of everyone here, I'm visiting St. Gilgen during the first week of December this year. I understand that I'm supposed to take bus 150. Can you tell me how to find it once I arrive at the Salzburg train station? And is this the right timetable?

austria.info/media/…SalzburgSt_gilgen.pdf

Also, I know there are numerous hiking trails around Wolfgansee. Can you tell me which ones are accessible during the winter? I enjoy challenging terrain and strenuous hikes, but I want to make sure I can follow the trail if it's covered with snow.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
St Gilgen
St Gilgen
Salzburg Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,770 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Salzburg / hiking in St Gilgen

the bus 150 starts right outside the station. it runs hourly at 15 mins past the hour, unless it has recently changed. it takes around 45 mins to reach st gilgen after first passing through fuschl. it pulls in at a semi terminus in st gilgen, just beside the gondola lift station. there are very few trails kept clear for walkers, but the one around the wolfgangsee is 27 kms and is largely flat but with a steep section between st wolfgang and furberg. as for other walks, you could try climbing the zwolferhorn from st gilgen. this is fairly well used and should be usable.

Edited: 08 November 2015, 21:26
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Salzburg / hiking in St Gilgen

You could take the gondola up the Zwolflerhorn and walk to Fuschl picking up your return bus there or if you really liKe uphill trails do it in reverse.

Edited: 08 November 2015, 22:35
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Salzburg / hiking in St Gilgen

Thanks for your help! I hear that there are several clear trails at Postalm as well.

I will arrive in town around lunchtime, so I have a few hours before sunset on my first day. Then, I have the entire next day free. Is it feasible to take the gondola up the Zwolferhorn & take a 90-minute hike during the limited window of time on my first day? Would you recommend that I spend my full day at Postam or on the Zwolferhorn?

Nakagoli, are you saying there is a trail to climb up the mountain rather than using using the cable cars?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,770 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Salzburg / hiking in St Gilgen

yes, there is a hike at the top of the zwolferhorn , called the panoramaweg. of course, who knows what it would be like after a fresh fall of snow. but it is used a lot even in winter, so should not be too bad. it takes around 1 hour, and the gondola takes around 15 mins. but on your first day you could also consider a walk around the lake past the yacht club and along a track to furberg. a beautiful walk about 25 mins each way, and if you want to prolong it , you can go on past the hotel there and either start the climb to the falkenstein, or go around the lake a bit further into the woods.

postalm is difficult to get to as there is a very infrequent bus from strobl, and if you have a car, you have to go up a rather windy road and pay a toll. it is a nice area, but it has fallen off in popularity from hikers and skiiers in the last year due to tolls and lack of investment. teriffic in the summer as it is the highest plateau in austria.

yes, there is a trail from the top of the zwolferhorn to the base, and of course you can climb this if you want. thousands do in the summer, but remember, in the winter, if there is snow in the village, the trail will also be used by skiiers!

if you want an all day hike, do the 27 km around the lake walk! the area over the blinkingmoos between gschwendt and stobl is lovely.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Salzburg / hiking in St Gilgen

Bus service to Postalm has been suspended.

Agree with nakagoli---on your first afternoon the walk around to Furberg and up to the Falkenstein chapel.

Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Salzburg / hiking in St Gilgen

Perfect. This is very helpful. Thank you for your help!

7. Re: Bus from Salzburg / hiking in St Gilgen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2017, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about St Gilgen