We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zell am See Vs Hallstatt

New York
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Zell am See Vs Hallstatt

Hello everyone,

I have a little more than a day to spare in Salzburg on May 25, so I am thinking of a really short trip to either Zell am See or Hallstatt by public transport.

I am travling with my parents (70 yrs). How does one choose between Zell am See and Hallstatt? How easy is Zell am See to get around? Will I get convenient connections from the city center to the waterfalls, the cable car and the glacier? What else would one do in a day, sicne we arent heavily into adventure sports?

I might be able to fit a day in both Hallstatt and Zell am See, but then i would need to leave out Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic? Which two places would most people pick?

Does anyone have recomendations for a not too expensive place (with private shower/toilet) that would house 3 people for the night? Or should I come back to Salzburg for the night, since I have to leave for Salzburg early next morning anyway?

Thanks,

Sid

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zell am See Vs Hallstatt

If I had the choice I would choose Hallstadt because it is really beautiful located and very special. The only problem will be the public transport as I think it is easier to get to Zell am See.

But to be honest I am really surprised to read in this forum that so many tourists who come to Austria want to visit Zell am See - it is a nice little town, but mostly famous for skiing and it would not be my preferred place to visit in Austria.

Hallstadt and the Salzkammergut area is much more impressive and special. This area is just beautiful - also the Styrian part:

www.salzkammergut.at/alias/salzkammergut/en

http://www.ausseerland.at/

Have you never thought of renting a car in Salzburg and drive in this area for a day od two?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zell am See Vs Hallstatt

...sorry about my wrong spelling of Hallstatt in the posting above...

New York
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zell am See Vs Hallstatt

Thanks. I sensed that driving around in a car is optimal, but I am not confident of my driving skills, having grown up in India and never having driven above 50 mph (and usually under 20mph). I have driven in the US a few times, but thats about it.

Yes, none of us is into skiing. If we go to Zell am See, it will be more for the views from the mountain and maybe the falls and glacier. We are also thinking of going to the Berchesgaden area.

Thanks again,

Sid

Washington state
Level Contributor
683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zell am See Vs Hallstatt

Ulrike73--

<<But to be honest I am really surprised to read in this forum that so many tourists who come to Austria want to visit Zell am See>>

So, if you were a visitor to Austria, and wanted to make a day trip from Salzburg to view the higher mountains, where would you go? Was emphalen sie?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zell am See Vs Hallstatt

As I wrote above I would recommend the Salzkammergut because it is one of the most beautiful areas in Austria - there are many lakes, lower and higher mountains, historic little villages and towns, romantic routes, hiking trails with wonderful views, ....

I f you look at the Homepage of "Inneres Salzkammergut" - under "getting there" you will find an overview map of the area:

inneres-salzkammergut.at/alias/…en

www.salzkammergut.co.at/EN/index-e.shtml

www.wolfgangsee.at/alias/wolfgangsee/en

tiscover.at/at/…home.html

www.hallstatt.net/index.php…

http://www.badaussee.at/

www.bad-mitterndorf.at/index.php?id=4&L=1

www.urlaubsland.at/englisch/index.shtml

http://www.ennsgrimmingland.at/ (in German, but just for the pictures)

schladming-rohrmoos.com/sommer/som-en_2446.h…

http://www.dachstein-tauern.at/en/

http://www.eisriesenwelt.at/

www.salzburgerland.com/werfen/eng/index.html

I would recommend a tour starting from Salzburg with maybe 1 or 2 overnight stays (or even more, if you want to go hiking) and going to Wolfgangsee (St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang), to Traunsee (Gmunden, Traunkirchen), Bad Ischl (nice town, it is the former summer residence of the "kaiser"), then to Hallstatt, then Bad Aussee and Altaussee (there are two famous lakes in an absolutely beautiful setting - Grundlsee and Altausseersee), then via Bad Mitterndorf, Trautenfels ( you will also see the mountain Grimming - 2351m), then west to Schladming (there is a very high mountain called "Dachstein" -2995m - which has also a glacier where you can ski in summer and go up there by cable car), Radstadt (there you can hit the highway back to Salzburg and you will even on the highway have a wonderful of high mountains while driving back to Salzburg!) or you could visit Werfen and the famous ice cave on your way back!

If you will only have time for a shorter trip, then go to Wolfgangsee, Bad Ischl and Hallstatt and then go back via Traunsee (Gmunden) up to the highway which will take you west to Salzburg again.

Hope I could give you a nice overview!

Washington state
Level Contributor
683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zell am See Vs Hallstatt

Thank you Ulrike, that is so very helpful!

7. Re: Zell am See Vs Hallstatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 05:24