We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zell am see: know before you go

Zell am see: know before you go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 15:29
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Zell am see: know before you go

Kandersteg –

Masterful response, in more than one sense.

Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Zell am see: know before you go

Maybe people should make up their own minds. If you look on youtube, there are two very interesting tourist short films regarding tourism in Zell am See, the first is

4 Oct 2011 - 3 min - Uploaded by Shnaikhar MB NEWS Arabs in the Austrian town of Zell am See

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKjuZQRMHM

The second is Araber in Zell am See - ORF Thema 3 Sep 2011 - 14 min - Uploaded by Peetzi999

www.youtube.com/watch…

By the way, Kanderstag, I notice that in the past 12 years, you don't actually stay in Zell an See, but choose to stay in the much quieter area of Saalbach, which is 14 km away from Zell am See. Maybe that's why you haven't seen many veiled women.

Avi V, I agree with your observations. There were veiled women everywhere in Zell am see last year when we were there and Zell am See is obviously economically benefiting from the huge sums of money being spent by Arab tourists, especially the hotels.

Mumbai (Bombay...
5 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Zell am see: know before you go

Ok. I agree "thousands" was perhaps an exageration. But 20 is equally tosh, my friend. But lets not worry about numbers.

First, let me say that any ideology that becomes part of a religion is still an ideology.

Secondly, covering women physically is cultural, not part of islam. Check your facts. And i have a right to disagree with it, whether you think its racist or not. Its the practice i disagree with not the people, their skin colour or ethenicity. So keep that defination of a 'racist' with you.

Third, i am pained about aboriginal treatment, and before you get to it, the caste system in india.

And finally, my holiday would've been equally ruined if the town was over run by gothic punks, my cousins from india or even aboriginals from australia. Thats not what i go to austria to experience

The reason i wrote my last post is because, the town is extremely popular with arabs and no brochure tells you that. Its a fact and all travellers need to know that so that they can decide themselves if they want to go or not.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Zell am see: know before you go

Interesting commentary. Most tourist areas in every country are overrun by foreigners.

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
22 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Zell am see: know before you go

There are none so blind as though who will not see. Look into your hearts those of you who incite fear and loathing because people are different from you. Hundreds of white English or hundreds of brown Arabs - do they behave differently by getting drunk, urinating in the streets or singing loudly?. No - they both walk about quietly minding their own business. I see no difference in my weekly visits from Saalbach Hinterglemm to Zell , which has a large Hasidic group in Hinterglemm with a Kosher shop and Arab visitors, who trouble no one. Zell has long ceased to be a a quaint "typical" Austrian town and is a tourist centre so let's forget the ruining of a cute village full of yodelling, lederhosen clad country folk, dancing round wooden houses.

The You tube clips are terrifying - why, there are Arab men and women, as many as four at a time, walking down the street and Arab shops unlike the Muslim, Polish, Jewish and Indian shops in Scotland. The pictures definitely prove there are Arab people in Zell - scary!

Who decides which colour, race or religion to tourists and style of dress they wear makes them suitable to be allowed in or can be tolerated by acceptable visitors like you? Why it seems it is you! I will be glad if you stop visiting Zell for a number of reasons. If I need to tell you why I suggest it would be impossible for you to understand so I won't try. It's just a pity Trip Advisor allows blatant racist views to be printed. Goodbye those of you won't can't accept the 21st Century - I'll see you in Zell in August when I try to force my way through thousands of Habib wearing women thronging the streets of Zell :)

Mumbai (Bombay...
5 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Zell am see: know before you go

Its really silly and ridiculous of you to keep accusing anyone who doesn't agree with you a racist. I consider myself a follower of strong human values and refuse to be called racist.

For the last time, its got nothing to do with, race, skin colour or ethnicity. Its gender discrimination in the name of culture, plain and simple. Otherwise why dont arab men also dress modestly and cover themselves from head to toe? I might actually be ok if that happens. I wonder who is naive and blind here.

I never said the arab tourists trouble anyone or misbehave. I (like a lot of other people, im sure) just dont want to see gender discrimination and suppresion at such a large scale.

And i congratulate trip advisor for letting an open, fair and honest comment appear on the site without any fear of political correctness.

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
22 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Zell am see: know before you go

Every time we read more bout the reasons for this thread complaining about Arab people and Zell am See another hole is dug! :)

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Zell am see: know before you go

If you want to see the "real Austria" then stay in a little village off the tourist track and go walking in the mountains each day! Otherwise you will see lots of coachloads of tourists - of assorted nationalities.

Perthshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Zell am see: know before you go

This is a very interesting thread and I do wish I'd read it before our recent trip to Austria.

I consider myself worldly wise, open and absolutely not rascist. What others consider me is up to them but I found myself questioning my ideals when I visited Zell am See. I particularly wanted to visit there as my parents had back in 1955 and said how beautiful it was. It most certainly is beautiful but so is virtually any other part of Austria. I only stayed two days because it was too touristy. I like to visit foreign places to experience their foreign culture. I did not feel like I was in Austria at all and I did not like this feeling. I also did not like myself for feeling this way but there you go, I've said it. For what it's worth I disliked Mallorca for the same reasons but only because it was full of British and I can't be racist against my own country surely?

The tourist population of this place is very condensed hence the feeling that one is in the middle east than the Alps. I will admit that I find women wearing the full covering rather unnerving. I would argue that this is because it is human nature to feel unnerved by something one cannot fully see. I feel the same way if someone is in full motorcycle gear, wearing costume masks, whatever - the principle is the same. It is, however, none of my business how people choose to live their lives. As long as people are happy and tolerant all well and good but I do agree that opinions should be expressed without them being thought of as rascist. There are many other places to go in Austria if you want the 'Austrian' experience and Zell am Zee would not be my first choice. Equally, Mallorca would not be my first choice to experience the essence of Spain.

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
22 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Zell am see: know before you go

Not racist? I quote from the first post

"The HUGE number of tourists and their attachment to their own local customs and traditions have made it quite shocking and unpleasant for people who hope to find some Austrian atmosphere."

Local customs like wanting English Breakfasts or wearing baggy shorts and black socks with sandals? What behaviour of these hordes of tourists - later identified by their race, religion and colour - has been shocking and unpleasant to those wishing to find Austrian atmosphere ?

No behaviour has been cited so what is left? The way they dress? Don't we all dress the way we dress at home when visiting abroad from the UK. Do British visitors to Egypt wear galabyahs? - still waiting to see many English visitors to India wearing saris. Many English people however wear Saris, Burkas and Salwar Kameez at home.

Gloss over the subject as much as you like the shame of racial stereotyping is so obvious in this thread. As I have said if you can't see for yourself what this original poster is doing there no point in me trying to tell you.

I rest my case.