We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cross Grossglockner: from south to north or north to south

Which Zell am See hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
488 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cross Grossglockner: from south to north or north to south

I will cross Grossglockner in the 2nd half of Sep. Venice is my start and end point. I have 2 options:

Option 1: Drive from Venice to Heiligenblut, stay one night, drive though Grossglockner in next day, stay at Zell am see in the 2nd night, and then go to Fuschl, Mondsee, Seewalchen am attersee area, then go to St. Wolfgang, Bad Ischl, Hallstatt, Gosau, finally back to Venice from Gosau. The total time is 5~6 days for above.

Option 2: Drive to Hallstatt, then St. Wolfgang, Seewalchen am attersee, Mondsee, Fuschl area, then go to Zell am see, finally cross Grossglockner and back to Venice.

Which one is better? And does it easy to find hotel/motel in Heiligenblut?

Thanks!

Albert

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cross Grossglockner: from south to north or north to south

I suggest you Option 1.

It would be better to book an accomodation in Heiligenblut in advance: http://www.heiligenblut.at/de/unterkuenfte

Have a nice stay in Austria!

Best Regards

Claudia

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,129 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cross Grossglockner: from south to north or north to south

I wonder why you are including seewalch? not one ot the normal hot spots, and a little off the beaten track.

as for the Grossglockner, I disagree with Claudia. I think that driving from the zell end is far more scenic than driving from heiligenblut.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
488 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cross Grossglockner: from south to north or north to south

Hello Claudia,

How long time is needed for the beautiful 49km road? Is it enough for 6 hrs include take cable car to go to glacier?

Thanks!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
488 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cross Grossglockner: from south to north or north to south

Hello Nakegoli,

How long time is needed for the beautiful 49km road? Is it enough for 6 hrs include take cable car to go to glacier?

Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,129 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cross Grossglockner: from south to north or north to south

from start to end and return, yes 6 hours is ample. the cable car to the glacier is quite short but due to recession of glacier, you still have to walk down a bit at the bottom of the lift! at one time, the glacier was up to the TOP of the lift, just below the road, but now you can only get down to the tongue of the glacier

6. Re: Cross Grossglockner: from south to north or north to south

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:15