We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expert skiing in Ischgl?

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Expert skiing in Ischgl?

Hello,

I am planning on skiing in Ischgl next winter and have the following three questions:

1. Is the skiing still good in the first week of April?

2. Does Ischgl have challenging black mogul runs like one finds in Verbier and Courchevel?

3. Does Ischgl have good off-piste skiing that one can access with a ski guide?

Many thanks for your responses.

Cheers,

Austin

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expert skiing in Ischgl?

Ischgl has a good long season.

Usually until the end of April or early May.

No absolute guarantee but based on past experience a very good chance until the end of April. Beginning of April should be no trouble.

The swiss side - Samnuan will get more sun and thus lose more snow eariler but still enough and of course the ischgl side is mostly north facing.

2. Most skiiers have different ideas about what is great, but I think you will be happy with Ischgl and its skiing. Ischgl has good black and also fine red to offer fine skiing.

Probably more than Verbier and more skiable terrain too I think. Can not comment on Courchevel as I do not know it.

The areas of Ischgl on the Palinkopf and Hollenspitze areas are very good and offer a challenge.

While snow grooming will take away some moguls - I think you find enough without trouble.

Also, the run I know as the " Duty free " one going down into Samnaun can be fun also.

many venture off piste and you will see their tracks.

Some steep areas too.

April can bring warm temperatures and some new snow conditions may offer chance of avalanche in some more remote off- piste areas.

I would first venture with an instructor to some areas. You will easily see this in your first days as to places safely ventured and those less so.

They, the lift authorities, are very conscious of any dangers and will advise skiers of avalanche warnings.

Obviously this is not a problem on marked pistes.

If you have not already look to it, a good piste and lift map

www.ischgl.at

Ischgl , as you must know, one of the best ski areas and also noted for good apre ski and night life too.

makes a great ski vacation in my opinion.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expert skiing in Ischgl?

Hello vertical,

Thanks very much for the useful information - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Austin

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expert skiing in Ischgl?

I stay in Ischgl at least 3 times in the season (december, february, easter). With the higher sun in April it has been a bit slushy but the resort endeavours to keep the valley runs open even upto the end of season concert in may. There are some nice blacks but not too difficult. There are no mogul runs like you see in many french resorts. however there are some "unofficial offpiste" areas on the swiss side which get mogulled up and many areas where you can ski off-piste but within the confines of the ski-ing area (again mostly on the Samnaun/swiss side). Not sure about the situation of "guided" off-piste skiing. (I assume you mean something like "back-country skiing far from the main pisted areas)

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expert skiing in Ischgl?

Thanks very much for the reply giftzwerg

5. Re: Expert skiing in Ischgl?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Ischgl
Recent Conversations