We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

Which Niederau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

Hello

I have found a good deal going to this hotel in July. I have never been to Austria and would be grateful if someone could give any info on this hotel and resort. We like to walk and swim, so are there good walks and any lakes near to this resort as we do not normally hire a car. What are the costs like here? Wine, eating out etc.

Many Thanks

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

There are mixed reviews of this hotel which features regularly,and often at a good discount,in the Inghams Lakes and Mountains programme.To me that discount feature rings an alarm bell.It appears the newly built wing has nicer rooms and the owner some people describe as moody and eccentric but hands-on.The staff are East European not local,the food and service get very mixed reviews.The owner and his wife also own the nearby 4* Hotel Sonnschein which is altogether better standard and has a swimming pool in the grounds.I have been there.

I wouldn't go back to Niederau although I am very keen on Austria in summer for the walking and scenery.Niederau is a very long transfer from Salzburg (shorter from Innsbruck) and is quite isolated. It is a small attractive village but you need to take the bus to Worgl for decent shopping and services,also for the rail link to Kitzbuhel,Munich,Innsbruck.I don't know of a lake near Niederau.

In summary I think you could choose a much better place to meet your requirements even if not at a discount.Have a look at Ellmau which has an outdoor swimming complex and many numbered walks,a chairlift at Asberg and the Hartkaiser funicular railway (the fastest in Austria).These give you access to a much wider choice of walks.Ellmau isn't anywhere near as cheap as Niederau (for good reasons) but if you tremble a bit at Ellmau hotel prices then nearby St Johann would be a good choice.I also like Seefeld which has a lake and a marvellous sports complex including a pool.Just one tip about Ellmau.The H Schonblick is well-priced but for me it is too far out of the village and the uphill walk back is a killer.

Austrian prices.We returned from Austria last week from Zell am See (which does have a lake)..Drinks are expensive.A bottle of wine approx 23 euros but better to buy a half-litre jug for 9-14 euros.Lager is a more reasonable 4-5 euros a half-litre and superb quality.Eating dinner out can be very expensive but if you go HB to your hotel you will only need snacks at lunchtime which you can get in the villages or up in the mountains at the huts if out walking.If you can ask for tapwater it is usually free and very good.Mineral water is a fiendish price.Coffee can be 2.50-4 euros.For a pot of tea for one I paid 4.20!

Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy Austria knowing what your holiday interests are.I am a bit wary of knocking Niederau as a summer resort as last time I did so it prompted some objections to my comments.But you asked.

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

Thank you so much for a very detailed reply I am very grateful and I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want the truth.

I think I will look at another option which is also well price with Crystal to Gasthof Mauth in St Johann. I love the look of Zell am See it is my preferred choice but can't seem to find a really good deal there and as we have been away once this year budget is restricted.

Thanks once again you have been a huge help.

Jayne

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

Excellant advice from WirralScouse. I would thoroughly endorse giving Neiderau a miss in the summer - it feels isolated and most of the bars are closed - it has non of the feeling of Austria..

Zell am See is a great introduction to Austria as it has mountain walks and lovely flat walks around the lake and the meadows. Although the Tirol is my favourite you could also consider St Wolfgang - the scenery is alot gentler but plenty of walks.

Although it can be pricey you may see if there are any deals in Kittbuhel - it has the benefit of 2 mountains and a lake a couple of kms away.

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

Many thanks don't know how we ever managed without trip advisor it is so useful cheers

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

Well just to put another slant on this post, I too saw the deal with Inghams and have booked for 8 of us in August.

I did read the reviews on this site but to be honest took them with a pinch of salt as I did when I booked the Hotel Brunner (Wengen) in Feb through the same sort of deal.

Most of the critisism was about the standard of rooms.....well, this is a mountain resort and the room are a reflection of this and nothing unusual for a resort like this.

The other main point was about the owners being ???? I forget what the teerminology was but you will find that many of the valley people can seem a bit abrubt, this is just how they are and I have found that if you are ok with them then they'll be ok with you.

To sum up....I have been to this valley about 15 times, winter, summer, spring & Autumn and absolutely love it, we manage to find something different to do each time we go. It is a beautiful valley and full of lovely people, good food, excellent views etc.

Please don't be put off by what the others have said , we normally stay in Oberau, (about 5 mins away by FREE bus) but will be staying in Neiderau because it is only costing us £292 each full board. BARGAIN!

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU, PLEASE MAIL IF YOU WOULD LIKE ANY MORE INFO.

SUZYSUE

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

That is a bargain price for a package £292 per person.But you don't appear to have answered the original questions.Do please let us know how it works out after you return.

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

thanks Suzy what a bargain I would be interested to know how you all get on.

Happy Holidays

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

We have just returned from the Harfenwirt (one week ago) We stayed for 2 weeks and had a great time. The hotel was very good and in particular the swimming pool spa area.

Herbert the owner has a wicked sense of humor and wants all his guests to enjoy themselves. We were in the old part of the hotel and it was large, clean and comfortable with a view to die for. If you get a chance to go on his harp evening, grab it with both hands.

The evening food was very good (rump steak one night) but the breakfast's were a little repetative

This is a good walking area in the Summer time with good access along the valley on the little road train (12 euros for the week))

All in all it was a fantastic value for money holiday in a beautiful location.

Peter

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

thanks Peter we will keep this option open for next holiday as we have booked to go to Thassos now due to mixed reviews on this hotel. Nice to have your views glad your enjoyed your holiday.

Jayne

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harfenwirt Hotel, Niederau

No problem Jayne

Hope you have a great time - we love Austria in the Summer.

Cheers

Peter

Get answers to your questions about Niederau
Recent Conversations