We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2010 - problem with itinerary

Which Twentynine Palms hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leighton Buzzard...
Level Contributor
23 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
2010 - problem with itinerary

hello all. We're back on our annual visit Stateside next June. We'did' Grand Canyon and Utah 2 years ago and are planning to include Death Valley and Joshua Tree next time. Still at planning stage! One of our projected journeys - driving - will take us from Twentynine Palms to Flagstaff and we need to break the trip for at least an overnight stop or longer. Have thought of Lake Havasu City but husband is dubious and wants to return to Grand Canyon but I would really welcome some help. Thanks from the very damp and dismal UK!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2010 - problem with itinerary

After admiring Twentynine Palms Murals you could take Amboy Road to Amboy. See Amboy Crater, stop at Roy's cafe, see the shoe tree and continue National Trails highway, formerly known R66 to Goffs, see the schoolhouse, back to I40, take Topock exit in Az to Oatman and "cuddle" the "wild" burros. Drive Sitgreaves pass R66 (Ir10) east of Oatman to Kingman and drive to Flagstaff via I40 or take R66 via Peach Springs to Seligman and continue I40 from there. Why are you going to Flagstaff if you want to visit GC? Easier would be to drive from Williams on az64.

This will be a fairly long trip with the stops. I'd recommend to stay the night in Kingman. Ample lodging and a good overnight stop.

You could drive from 29Palms via ca62 (nice road full of bumps) to Vidal Junction and to LHC from there but I'd prefer the first route by far.

Tet

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2010 - problem with itinerary

Stay Kingman, as Tet suggests, not Lake Havasu City.

http://kingmantourism.org/

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
197 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2010 - problem with itinerary

Personally, I wouldn't break the trip. We did a similar journey last month from 29 palms to the Grand Canyon easily in a day and didn't pass anywhere I'd like to spend a significant amount of time. I would 'press on' or spend more time in Joshua Tree NP which we found fascinating. It is closed season in the summer and when we were there we had the place virtually to ourselves. Be sure to visit the Cholla Cactus Garden and Keys Point which gives you a fantasic view over the Coachella Valley!! - Have a great trip

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2010 - problem with itinerary

KokoLB- I also recommend the Route 66 option that Uden outlined. It's one of the best-preserved (or remaining) sections of '66 remaining. In Kingman there's a Rte66 museum; about halfway between Kingman and Williams is Grand Canyon Caverns. We thought it might be a big tourst trap but it was fascinating (world's largest dry cave system).

There are several websites dedicated to Rte 66. Also if you like to put things in a historical/cultural context, I recommend "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck...though not a quick read!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2010 - problem with itinerary

I'm curious why you're heading out to Flagstaff - if you don't plan to see the Canyon again. Flagstaff is an interesting destination in and of itself (where as all the other towns between 29 Palms and Flagstaff are just outgrowths of the transportation industry - each may have some interest or scenery, but none is a destination or anyplace to stop unless you're tired).

The way I understood your question is that you want to break the trip up - not make it longer and look for more things to do along the route. If you do start touring the 66 side trips, then Kingman makes a good stopping point. Going through Amboy won't cost you much time on that route and you can decide if you want to do more of the same the next day - or head directly to Flagstaff. I'm guessing you want to spend time in Joshua Tree that day, or something. If you do decide to do Grand Canyon caverns or other sight seeing, you can easily make it to Flagstaff the next day - I can think of where else to advise you to stay (except Tusayan/Grand Canyon) or Sedona - but it doesn't sound like you're looking to go even further.

Then, are you going back to DV after Flagstaff?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2010 - problem with itinerary

We haven't heard from Koko after these replies. Hope Koko's still reading these posts.

Leighton Buzzard...
Level Contributor
23 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2010 - problem with itinerary

Hello everyone

Well not only was it my birthday yesterday, it coincided with my nephew's wedding - wonderful occasion, glorious weather AND it took place up in Derbyshire. So a good time all round. Got back this morning.I finally got to read the last posts just now. We've decided to break the journey at Kingman and will make sure wehave notes on all the places people have told us about. A lot will depend on how energetic we're feeling on the day! Thank you all for the help, it's invaluable.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2010 - problem with itinerary

Congrats on both birthdays and wedding.. We do have a great summer! Happy planning and please come back if you have more questions.

9. Re: 2010 - problem with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Twentynine Palms