We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalaupapa trail question(s)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
20 posts
375 reviews
Save Topic
Kalaupapa trail question(s)

Hello all, my husband and I are coming to beautiful Molokai for the 2nd time, in August, and are determined to get down to Kalaupapa-- when we were there before (a few years ago in February) the trail was extremely wet and muddy and the flights were all full, so we never went. I have 2 questions: 1) while no one can predict the weather, I am wondering if the trail tends to be generally dry(er) in the summer?-- or is this just unpredictable at any time of year? 2) I have heard that the trail, while completely safe can be nerve wracking if one has a fear of heights. Is it "bad"? Of course this is subjective, but any comments would be appreciated. We both love hiking but we also each have a "touch" of nervousness about looking straight down from a high/ steep angle. Mahalo.

2 replies to this topic
Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalaupapa trail question(s)

I would assume since summer has much less rainfall than winter, that the trails would be in better shape. But I've never been there at that time of year, so can't say firsthand.

As far as how "nervewracking" it is, we've been down it twice, although on the mules both times. I didn't find it bad at all ... the worst part was the bone-jarring thumping on the mules (but we chose that method over hiking due to other health issues). The trail begins in the forest, and even when it comes out to the so-called edge of the cliff, it never seemed like we were "looking straight down". There are plenty of bushes and trees along the way to take away that feeling of being 'on an edge'. What there is though are fabulous views all the way. And the bittersweet beauty of the peninsula, and the tour of Kalaupapa ~ with it's unthinkable history ~ were a life-changing experience for us.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 00:17
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
20 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalaupapa trail question(s)

Thank you so much! This information is extremely helpful. We'll hoof it for sure (on our feet, not hooves, I mean!). Happy travels to you.

Reply to: Kalaupapa trail question(s)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalaupapa