We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Weather?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Current Weather?

We are headed to the Big Island next week and were hoping for a weather update? www.weather.com has said rain every day but they also said that last year for every day that we were there and it only rained once.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Weather?

The only weather info you should rely on is http://accuweather.com. It rains every day here at some part(s) of the island, we are famous for our microclimates. The general rule is it hardly ever rains in South Kohala and Waikoloa; rarely rains in Kona; rains a lot on the East side and it rains at/above 1500' elevation every day.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Weather?

Thanks! I'm liking that forecast much better!!!!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Weather?

NOAA zone forcast kailua-kona. Also has a link to active radar in real time to see what is happening on the west side. there is also a 24 hour visual loop showing both clouds and rain.

You will have to go to NOAA South Hilo for the east side of the island due to the mountains.

All other sites are for entertainment

Minnesota
Level Contributor
396 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current Weather?

For maybe more than you want to know about current and past weather, see

…rr.com/lanailizards/…Weather_Summary.htm

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current Weather?

Here's the NOAA link Dan mentioned. This is my favorite weather site. It has it all. On the island map graphic you can actually get a different forecast by clicking a little bit away from where you were ... try this on the Saddle Road for fun.

In Hilo it's been dumping rain, the Onomea Scenic Route has standing water on the road, streams are raging. 2 inches of rain PER HOUR at times today in Hilo. We have a flood advisory out.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Kailua+Kona&state=HI&site=HFO&textField1=19.638&textField2=-155.993&e=0

The zip for Hilo is 96720, if you have online access in Kona and want to check conditions for a day trip.

(The RR site TubaChristmas mentioned is good too. RR is Roadrunner ... our broadband provider, and it has a very useful page for goings on around the state, including weather)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current Weather?

It's raining FOUR INCHES PER HOUR in parts of Waiakea (Hilo) today. It's because of days like this that I warn people not to schedule these tight itineraries for the east side of the island.

Today would not be any good to go to Botanical Gardens, Akaka (too slippery), or to drive Hwy 19. It's a good day to stay home or go to the mall, see a movie.

It's also thundering...

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current Weather?

Thanks for the link KK. In the past I have found hawaiiweathertoday.com to be easier to find the NWS/NOAA forecast, but now that you pointed out the click on map at the NWS, that is just as easy, and gives even more focused area forecasts.

Meg, definately ignore weather.com for Hawai'i forecasts. It does look like a cloudier and wetter weather pattern is moving into the entire state, but I greatly doubt that it will rain everyday, and not all day on any day that it does rain. Stick to the leeward sides of the island (Kona/Kohala) on wet days, and follow the NWS forecasts on these sites during your trip. Forecasts out more than a couple days change all the time.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current Weather?

Glad you liked, it, Dr Val!

Hawaiiweathertoday.com, a Maui site, does a very good job for Maui County (which as you are well aware includes Lana`i), but I like it less for the Big Island.

to everyone,

I like the NOAA site because for one thing you're going straight to the information that all the accurate sites copy over, but it has all sorts of tools, from a discussion, to a forecast, to live radar.

My husband, a weather forecast junkie wherever he's lived, never even looks at the written forecast. He only checks the live radar and the "history" to see the weather as it's dynamically changing. I'm not that good at reading the radar.

But even for me, checking the radar helps because you can see immediately where the system is sitting and what areas it's hitting, which, on the Big Island, will rarely if ever be all over the island.

Because of our huge mountain shields, if you can pinpoint the direction from which the rain is coming, and get to the other side of the mountains from that, you'll usually find sun.

However, every once in awhile a system will settle in over the whole island, as in February of 2006, in fact that one setttled over the entire state.

9. Re: Current Weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 23:18