We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger Keahou Beach Resort being renovated?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Outrigger Keahou Beach Resort being renovated?

I'm planning a trip to the Kailua-Kona area in Sept. for just 2 nights and was informed by Costco Travel agent that this property is currently being renovated? Anyone else know anything about this?

Previous to hearing that I was seriously considering staying there. The travel agent recommended the Sheraton since it had just finished being renovated.

I'm looking for a place that is close to good beaches (snorkeling and spotting sea turtles) and close to the many sightseeing places, i.e. Captain Cook, Place of Refuge, etc.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger Keahou Beach Resort being renovated?

Aloha

THe Outrigger does not appear to be doing any re-model....they did so last year

This is a great p;lace to see turtles as well.....proably one of the best......and at the Outrigger you will be on one of the best snorkel beaches......

south at Keauhou is a center for snorkel and Kayak tours of the Kona coast..... the best palce for both.

HD

NY
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger Keahou Beach Resort being renovated?

I'm leaving tomorrow and spending the first 5 nts at this hotel. I didn't expect the Fairmont, but I'd read descent reviews. Now, after just reading a few new reviews, I'm VERY concerned. I made the arrangements for us and another couple. I'm terrified now that we are staying in a dump and will feel horrible to have put our friends into this situation.

I need to know if the recent very negative reviews are realistic, or is it a case of expecting the Fairmont Orchid at an Outrigger price? I just want a clean, well kept room and a nice hotel in a nice location with a descent breakfast.

I'll write a review of our experience next week. Hopefully it will not be as bad as what I've read today.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger Keahou Beach Resort being renovated?

Aloha

Are you staying at the Fairmont? Im confused.....or is it the Outrigger.

The outriigger is a Holiday inn by the ocean........and has a good restauraunt, and outstanding location....better than the Fairmont

HD

NY
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigger Keahou Beach Resort being renovated?

Thanks HD. I'm booked at the Outrigger. What I was saying is that I'm not sure about the quite negative reviews posted in the last few weeks. I know that sometimes people go to destinations like Hawaii and expect luxury (ie, the Fairmont Orchid) when they are paying for something more moderate (ie. Outrigger).

Just trying to figure out if the recent bad reviews are legit or just a case of overexpectations. I don't want a to be staying in a run-down dump, especially when other people trusted me to make their arrangements. We don't spend all our time at the hotel so it made no sense to spend $300+ on a room.

If it's a nice, clean, well kept Holiday Inn type place, I'm fine with that.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger Keahou Beach Resort being renovated?

I just stayed at the Outrigger and the Fairmont Orchid. The Outrigger is a nice place. I think to call it a Holiday Inn is not giving it the credit it deserved. The rooms are nice, and clean. The grounds are nice and well kept. The pool, lobby and bar/restaurant area is nice. I read mixed stuff about this hotel too. When I saw it, I asked myself, “What is wrong with this place? It is very nice.” They have hammocks hanging near the bay where you can see the turtles and watch the sun set. My daughter did not want to leave this place she liked it so much. That was until we got to the Fairmont. Luxury city. That place is a five star place!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger Keahou Beach Resort being renovated?

Otrigger and Sheraton are the 2 best hotels in Kona

Atlanta
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Outrigger Keahou Beach Resort being renovated?

"Outrigger and Sheraton are the 2 best hotels in Kona."

I totally agree. The Sheraton is right near the Outrigger. We drove over there to look around. It was nice. When you drive up and down Alii drive there are some downright dumps. Especially the hotels right in Kona. They look really old and outdated. I would stay at the Outrigger again. With the package I got I think I paid like $80-90 a night there. If you are on a budget that is the place to stay.