We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Kona Town

Aust
1 post
Save Topic
Car rental in Kona Town

Hi,

Am travelling to Kona in the next couple of weeks and would like to rent a car, not from the airport but from in town. Just wondering if anyone knows any car rental places in town and preferably websites for booking. I have had no trouble finding car rental places at the airport but haven't had any luck finding anything in Kona itself.

thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Kona Town

Enterprise. It's in town. They pick you up, and return you by shuttle.

Can also use Entertainment coupon if you have one.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Kona Town

A consideration worthy of thought is that you need to ask what the restrictions are..... not all rental cars are permitted in all areas...... ask what their restrictions are if you intend to explore a bit... so compare

HD

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Kona Town

Check around I can't remember who but there are three you can get in town....and HD has a point with the restrictions!!! I think it was from the Sheraton you can rent them in town, Enterprise is in the Keauhou mall.

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Kona Town

Aloha Jangster, alll the rental cars on the BI are pretty much the same. There has been much written about which one is best etc. They all have to comply with state regs. and insurance coverage to cover themselves. Thousands of visitors come to the islands each year and rent cars. Never has so much concern been raised and constantly repeated. Have no fear read the contract and rent form the most convienet.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Kona Town

Enterprise in keauhou shopping center, is 5 miles south of kona. and 13 miles from the airport.

They , Hertz,Avis, Budget have the most restrictions on where their cars can be driven,( no travel allowed to: Saddle Road, Mauna Kea, Waipio, or any non-paved road .

Can you be slippery and sneak in to some restricted roads...shure.. many do....But if you have a problem or ding the car you need to understand you will pay big time money as the insurance you took is now void..... and they have your credit card.... Think about it. The normal thing is to keep the rental going at full rate to you, while the car is being repaired.... that might take a month here in Hawaii.. And then there is the cost of repair...... or replacement.

Does this really happen...... you bet.

So, like Dirty Harry said. " are ya' feeling lucky" Hmmmm?

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Kona Town

Aloha, in all my years of travel and renting cars I have never heard such a scary tale as HD just told. First most people have their own insurance to cover a rental and secondly if the car has a ding they don't kill you. Where do you come up with these ideas???

7. Re: Car rental in Kona Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2005, 13:27
8. Re: Car rental in Kona Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2005, 13:27
MAPLETON
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Kona Town

We are going next Feb. We would like to see the really backroads areas, Is a Wrangler best for the 9 days?

so far best rate is $54 plus taxes.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in Kona Town

I don't know about some folks, but I think you would be well advised to stay off roads that your car rental company explicitly prohibits. I have known people to have an accident on Saddle Road ... tourists and locals. First, there is not much on Saddle Road to see. You can enjoy your trip without venturing up there. Second, nothing may happen. But if it does, do you want to be the one with the mangled car trying to explain to the car rental folks why you drove there when you weren't supposed to? Or trying to explain it to your insurance agent? Honesty may not be very important to some people, but as far as I'm concerned, if you sign your name on a piece of paper saying that you aren't going to drive somewhere, then you shouldn't be doing it.

There's nothing scary about renting in Hawaii - just read the contract and do what it says. I don't know why anyone thinks HawaiiDan is saying something that shouldn't be said -- it's simply the truth.

As far as a 4x4, you wouldn't need that for saddle road. You might need it for some other places. But again, I think you can stay on the beaten path and see a whole lot of the Big Island.

If you are interested, there is also a place in Kona called Aloha Exotic Car Rental where you can get hummers, corvettes and the like. I've never tried it, but I've been tempted....