We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holua, Kona Coast Resort OR Keauhou Beach Resort ?

Northern California
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holua, Kona Coast Resort OR Keauhou Beach Resort ?

My husband, 2 year old son and I are planning on spending 4 nights at Kailua Kona mid September.

We thought a condo would suit us best (vs. Hotel or B&B) as we plan on making use of kitchen/kitchenette.

We narrowed down our choices to the 3 above (Holua, Kona Coast Resort or Keauhou Beach Resort).

For those of you who stayed in any (or all) of the above resorts:

1. how did you like the location? is it centrally located (more or less) to a good number of points of interests (beaches, restaurants etc.)

2. to get some swim time in, our son would probably spend a good amount of time in the pool, were the pools in those resorts nice?

3. how did you like the room and service/staff?

Thank you very much in advanced.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holua, Kona Coast Resort OR Keauhou Beach Resort ?

I assume you meant Keauhou Resort, which is a condo complex and not Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort, which is a hotel. Kona Coast Resort is a mixed-use condo, some units are full time ownership (in Phase I) and all units are timeshares (in Phase II.) Holua at Mauna Loa Village is the same, some full time ownership condos and some timeshare units. KCR has more amenities and it's a resort-type condo complex. While all three are in the same general area, Holua is more remote and has less amenities. Keauhou Resort would be my very last choice since it is an old condo complex with no amenities and no staff.

Northern California
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Holua, Kona Coast Resort OR Keauhou Beach Resort ?

Thanks. I actually meant the Outrigger and I thought for sure it was a condo. I guess I missed that (important aspect).

I will check again. We really wanted a condo, thanks for your response!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holua, Kona Coast Resort OR Keauhou Beach Resort ?

Last year we stayed at Holua and had family staying in Kona Coast I. We preferred Holua. It was very nice and it is small and quiet. Kona Coast is a much larger. Tons of cool Geckos though.

Other than the color out room was beautiful. And they have been remodeling for a while and the new color looked much more neutral than the wild green they had going on. But the color is far from a deal breaker. The staff that we dealt with were always courteous and helpful. Very close to snorkeling, and a nice shopping center. They have small pools around the property, nothing fancy. But in 5 trips to the islands in 7 years we have not set foot once in one except at Holua to relax after a long day. And we were the only ones there. Pools are way down on our list as important amenities. Too much ocean to explore. We plan on staying there again in the future. We also have friends who stayed there this year and loved it also.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
716 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holua, Kona Coast Resort OR Keauhou Beach Resort ?

We have stayed at both (Kona and Holua) with young kids, and my preference was definitely towards the Holua. It is larger, quieter and has small pools for taking the kids in.

We are going again this year with our 6 year old and new daughter and are passing on the Kona Coast and staying at the Holua and Kona Hawaiian village.

5. Re: Holua, Kona Coast Resort OR Keauhou Beach Resort ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 05:16