We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona or Kohala?

BC
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kona or Kohala?

I am in a group of 3 couples headed to the Big Island Dec 6-13. We are staying a few days in Volcano Village but then we want to hit the beaches further up north. We are looking at staying in a condo that fits all 6 of us but trying to decide if we should stay just south of Kona or in Waikoloa area. We have found our budget suits us for Keauhou Surf and Raquet Club or Fairway Villas (both about $140/night for a 3 bedroom plus $150 cleaning fee plus tax) but we are open to other suggestions in that price range. We definitely want the nice beaches but also be close enough to stroll the town and I understand there is a shuttle for Ali'i Dr. We will be renting a vehicle but if one couple wants to head into a coffee shop for a bit we don't want to have to drag the others with us. Any suggestions or comparisons for Kona - Kohala would be greatly appreciated!!

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kona or Kohala?

We are there the same week you are (plus another 10 days). We have another couple plus kids coming with us and are staying at the Wyndham Kona Village which is great. Good location on Alii, shuttle or walk to town and beaches. Spending our second week at Holua Resort which we have been to twice and love. It is a great quiet resort but is down at the end of the road. If you are planning on driving places this is great but not walking distance.

We have stayed at Kona Coast which sounds like it would work for you. It is right near the shopping centre/restaurants/theatre/coffee shop and walking distance easily to a decent beach.

Have a search for whatever sounds best to you, if you have any questions drop me a message.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kona or Kohala?

Kona if you want more night life and restaurant choices w/ day trips to Waikoloa but Waikoloa area if you want easier and better beach access :)

3. Re: Kona or Kohala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2010, 05:20