We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most romantic spot on the kona side to pop the question???

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
breckenridge...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
most romantic spot on the kona side to pop the question???

My girlfriend and I are staying at the Outrigger Keahou Beach Resort next week. Her birthday is on Friday, we are hoping to do a coffee farm tour that day and be back to the hotel around 5 or so.

What time does the sunset right now? Could I time it to be at a sweet spot right at sunset? or is that too much to ask?

Otherwise, what other close to Outrigger locations do you suggest? We have a couple of free days and will camp for a couple of nights too. Should I wait for a more primitive, secluded spot?

Any suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: most romantic spot on the kona side to pop the question???

Hi Mountainsurf.

You will have an unforgettable trip. We were just there this past July, and I keep coming back to this site, so that I can pretend I will visit again soon.

We stayed in the Keauhou area (at the Holua Resort at Mauna Loa Village - which is right beside where you are staying, if I remember correctly).

You will hear many different opinions of where to pop the question - but if I had done it there, I would probably have done it down on the black sand beach, at the bottom of the Pololu Valley Lookout (right at the top end of the island - near Hawi). We walked 10-15 minutes down the steps to the beach - which was practically empty - and the views were out of this world.

You won't be able to do that the day of her birthday and the coffee farm tour - as I think most of these tours (????) are down in the area you are staying - which I would guess to be 1.5 hours away from the Pololu Valley (I am sure Hawaii Dan will correct me on that one - haha).

Other than that, I would say to get over to snorkel at Captain Cook - and do it somewhere on the shoreline just left/west of the Captain Cook Monument. This place was one of our other highlights of the trip.

My third choice (I will stop after this one) is up on top of Mauna Kea. Drive up - see the sunset (you won't be able to do this the same day as her birthday - unless you reschedule the coffee farm tour) - and there is an area west (I think) of the parking, at the very top, where you can hike up about 100 yards to a peak (with a little prayer monument on it). The pictures we have of us at this little prayer site are on our wall now. Totally beautiful spot.

Those are my ideas - if you want more info, just ask - if not, I am sure you will find a perfect spot any where on the Big Island.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: most romantic spot on the kona side to pop the question???

There are a lot of scenic intimate places in the immediate proximity to where you are staying. On the point among the tidal pools in front of your hotel, with an unobstructed view of the sunset, would be great. As would the old church on the far side of Kahaluu Bay. Or, you could pop the question while snorkeling over the beautiful reef.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: most romantic spot on the kona side to pop the question???

Comgratulations, in advance. If you want to pop the question on Friday, near the coffee farm area on her birthday here is my suggestion. There is a very unique and secluded "painted church" up high on a bluff overlooking the ocean. A very nice, secluded and romantic spot.

aloha.