We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayak/Snorkle tours.

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
Level Contributor
567 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Kayak/Snorkle tours.

Can anyone recommend a good company for a Captain Cook kayak/snorkle tour? How strenuous is kayaking for somebody not in the greateast shape? I have never done it before. I have lost about 15 lbs, I have about 15 more to go. Not in terrible shape, but am in pretty good health.

Thanks

Kim

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayak/Snorkle tours.

please do not try a snorkel kayak to Capt cook.... Take a tour from the many fine companies that do it.........

We have a terrible problem here with fly bu night Kayakers who are destroying this bay for personal profit...... Kayak elsewhere please... the bay is dying from this problem

Help us.......

Fairwinds,Dolphin Discoveries, Sea Quest all give professional guided tours for the same price as a Kayal rental and dont do the incredible damage as Kayakers are.....

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayak/Snorkle tours.

Recent marine studies of the Captain Cook area have NOT indicated that kayakers are damaging the area, as long as basic environmental safeguards are followed. I quote from West Hawaii Today on 9/24/05: "The science does not support degradation at Kealakekua Bay," said Peter Young, state Land Board chairman. "So rather than restrict, we have the opportunity to regulate and make sure the bay remains healthy".

Certain posters have a strong bias against kayakers, but you do have the right to rent a kayak from a reputable company and traverse the Bay yourself. This allows a much more personal experience, you have flexibility in deciding how long to stay and when to return, and can save a significant amount of money, especially if two people are kayaking together. We have kayaked the Bay twice, and had a wonderful time both trips. We were surrounded by dolphins on the second trip (did not approach them, they just showed up)and got to just sit and watch their acrobatics for about 15-20 minutes. (We stopped paddling in order not to encroach on their comfort zone but three dolphins still came to us--surfaced right next to the kayak and it was thrilling!) You don't have to be a triathelete in order to do the kayak trip--just talk to the folks at the company you rent from and follow the safety guidelines. Until we're told not to by state ordinance, we are going to continue to carefully, respectfully and safely kayak to that beautiful place and snorkel to our hearts' content--hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

san jose, ca
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayak/Snorkle tours.

I recently returned from the BI. (10/25-11/3)

We took a Kona Boys kayak tour of Capn Cook. It was really good. Small group (5 people + guide). Lunch provided.

Easy kayak out. Many breaks, not too hard.

Snorkle for an hour and then kayak back.

Its a tour, so you also get some history of the bay, monument, etc. Snokle gear included.

Highly recommend. Costly at ~$120/person, but worth it.

--f

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayak/Snorkle tours.

one thing that surprised me about the bay was, if they're so worried about damage to the reef, why do they allow people to slather on the sunscreen when they go there?

i went snorkeling on the reef off the coast of cancun (the second largest reef in the world) and they do not allow you to wear sunscreen in the water there, as it damages the reef. you have to wear a surf shirt or just a t-shirt to prevent burning your back.

having been there, i personally don't see how it's possible for the kayakers to be causing any more damage to the reef than the boat tourists do.

having said all that, i was going to do a kayak trip there, but ended up going w/ fair winds 2 and was glad i did. if i had been a kayaker and had smelled the bbq coming from that boat and not been able to eat, i think i would have flipped.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayak/Snorkle tours.

We last kayaked in Dec. '04 at Kealakekua Bay, and rented from Adventures in Paradise, right in Captain Cook. The price then for a two-person kayak was $69, for 1/2 day. (Our B&B at Cedar House got us 10% off that price as well). We got the kayak in the water about 8:30, and got back out of the water, with the kayak on the car, about 12:30. (They were really flexible with the time, provided a waterproof, collapsible cooler, life vests, etc. and LOTS OF INFO! The guy who worked there (Dave?) was so fun, and when we took the kayak back and said we'd seen the dolphins he was as thrilled as we were!)

No sunburn because we wore rash guard suits this time, with SPF 50--learned from having gotten the sunburn of our lives on the previous trip to Captain Cook. I did put sunscreen on the back of my ears though--they really hurt when burned that last time! We didn't smell any great barbecue smells from the boats when they were there--just nasty gas/diesel/petrol fumes of some sort when they showed up and again when they left. Lots of noise too--screaming, jumping in the water, people yelling back and forth to the boats--which also disturbed the peace and quiet we had been enjoying. I wonder if that noise bothers the fish and dolphins? I sure didn't like it! We had packed sandwiches, oranges and almonds for lunch, and it was all delicious, after having been in the water for several hours. (Don't forget to take plenty of water as well).

We did get some great history about the area from the guy at Adventures, and also watched a video at our B&B (after having read up on the area in our pre-trip research), so it was fun to visit with some already-learned info. While it sounds like the guided tours also work well for lots of folks, we really like being independent--we just don't assume that we know it all at first, so we ask lots of questions before trying something. We are also very ecologically/environmentally sensitive, and follow the rules about transporting garbage back out, not standing on the coral, not approaching the dolphins, etc. Hopefully, the misbehavior of some will not ruin the fun for the rest of us--we hope to always be able to experience the Bay from a kayak!