We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

I'm thinking about booking a last minute trip to the big island this month. The main reason I'm going there is to do the night snorkel with the Manta Rays.

1. Where on the big island are the Manta Rays? I'm trying to figure out which hotel/city I should stay at. I might use a timeshare and if I do, my two choices are in Kailua-Kona and Pualu'u. If those are too far away, I'll opt not to use my timeshare.

2. Are the manta rays there in March? Is there a better time of year to see them?

3. Did the recent tsunami affect the manta rays?

Thanks.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
81 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

We did the trip on the Hula Kai this past Tuesday. The tsunami had no affect on anything - it was, except for the impact of evacuations, etc, a non-event. (Believe it demonstrated pretty good planning on the part of state emergency action officials, though!) The manta rays are right in front of the Sheraton hotel, in about 20-25 feet of water. I believe you can see them from the hotel's Manta Bar - and you can drink at the same time! You hold onto a float, trailed from the boat, which has a light system to attract plankton which attracts the mantas. There's also a diver with stronger lights filming - and, in reality, he uses his lights to try to lure the mantas from other like equipped operations. In an hour, we saw 5 mantas - or two twice, and one large one, once. The operators are nice, efficient, accommodating - the manta's maybe not so much. My wife and I pretty much agreed that we wouldn't do it again, and would be hard pressed to recommend it... That was $200 I wish we had saved ( we didn't buy the video tape - although it was 50% off the "normal" $59).

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

We were staying at the Sheraton almost a month ago and got to "observe" the manta dives from the bar over the viewing area...it was a circus...one after another 6 boats pulled in they lowered lights and put the divers in first...who shown light up toward the surface..then the snorkelers went in...it looked like the half-yearly sale at Nordstoms!!! Heard the next day there were only 2 spotted.

on a boat
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

^^^ you posted this before and I explained the boats from the north site were coming down, in keahou their is normaly two boats. And the mantas are wild animals I'd say 75% of the time they put on fantastic shows for the people on the trip. But u need to remember these are wild animals they are going to do what they want. And jims video was $25 wich is a steal crazy to pass up that deal

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

We were just there last week. We were staying at the Houla Resort next door and we walked over to the Sheraton 3 nights to look for the Manta rays and never saw any. It was really rough water. It was neat to watch the waves smash up against the rocks. It is a nice view at the Sheraton. Mai tai's were $9.00 kind of steep.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

Yes 808 I posted that on another question and will continue to post what I witnessed! No matter where the boats were coming from they were there!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,779 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

>>> But u need to remember

that on this forum people spell out their words, capitalize and use punctuation? We're not a bunch of texters and tweeters here. Sorry, but look at your post and look at all the other contributions.

It just so happened the night I took the glass bottom cruise there were several boats. Zero mantas showed up that night. It did look like a zoo. From other posts I've seen here, it's not always crowded, but clearly sometimes it is.

on a boat
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

That's right I do it from my phone I'm not able to sit at home and post on the forums all day. So excuse my lack of punctuation marks and capital letters lol

you guys come off as very negative, don't do this don't do that.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,779 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

I post from my phone once in awhile. I still don't spell you "u." It's annoying to read. This forum has literate posters using it. That's a big part of its appeal. I don't want to see it turn into degraded English because of the texting habit, sorry. If everyone did "phone" posting, TA would be unreadable.

on a boat
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

Haha oh no the spelling police is in town what shall I do, should I be shamed into not posting actual advice. Seeing as how I'm posting from experiences and knowledge of what's going on with the trips people are asking about. Where all you can say is don't snorkel too close to the turtles don't swim with the dolphins . Besides all your doing be discouraging people from going on trips is hurting our states economy.

on a boat
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel - did tsunami affect anything

And back to the original post their were two mantas that hung out last night. It's just the luck of the draw.