We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Big Island - is it worth it?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
The Big Island - is it worth it?

I am planning a honeymoon to Kona this July (first week) and have been asking around to people who have been to the Islands in Hawaii... most say The Big Island is okay, but nothing in comparison to Kauai (#1) and Maui (#2).

Now I am a little bummed about The Big Island.

Is it still worthwhile to go - for someone who has never experienced Hawaii?

I have read all of the posts - and researched the tons of things the Big Island seems to have to offer - but now I am having second thoughts.

Any comments?

If I do end up going - is the helicopter ride over Volcano National Park worth it - or is it a waste of money?

Colorado
Level Contributor
193 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: The Big Island - is it worth it?

In my opinion, yes, yes and yes, you will enjoy it, if you are like us. We toured three islands and enjoyed the BI the best. Although it will be controversial, I did not enjoy Maui or Oahu as much as the BI. BI is more laid back and has more diverse activities. We are big hikers so that was nice. We kayaked for the first time and that was a fun adventure. The snorkeling was the best on the BI for us. We went to the Place of Refuge and saw sea turtles up close in the water. We did not venture into the resort district unless we had to. It was too crowded and touristy. There may be great beaches there but we tended toward activies rather than laying on the beach. Not criticizing sun worshippers, just stating MY perspective. Each island was different and you could tell the age of the land. BI is younger, with fewer beaches. I am a firm believer that everyone can find fun if you look for it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: The Big Island - is it worth it?

I think you will find Hawaii beautiful and full of things to do since you don't have the other islands to compare it to. I have been to Maui, Kauai, Oahu, and the big island as well as a few of the smaller ones and each island has similiar and different offereings. I'd rate Kona and Maui at the top. Overall, I think Kona is a wonderful honeymoon destination. Wonderful beaches do exist up north but they are often off the beaten path. My husband took the helicopter tour from an outfit up North but based in Hilo and loved it! Very much worth the money. The photos match images found in travel vidoes. Take your bride to Roys for dessert if nothing else - the chocolate souffle is to die for! and the best meal I had. most resturants are $$$$ pricey! Enjoy!

Colorado
Level Contributor
193 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: The Big Island - is it worth it?

Well, certainly, different strokes for different folks. We went to Oahu, Maui and the BI. We LOVED the BI, it had everything. We never found the snorkeling the same after the BI. In fact, we almost feel ruined for life. Maui is OK, the road to Hana is gorgeous and the beaches are beautiful. The most beautiful I have ever seen. But it's too busy and touristy, IMO. We didn't stay in the tourist district of Kona, so we missed that. Oahu was only a must see for Pearl Harbor, Honolulu is just another big city. The Revealed books are certainly fantastic, especially for the BI. Lots of cool adventures in there off the beaten path.