We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

Hi -

We'll be in the BI and wanting to do some snorkeling. We will probably take one day snorkel tour but I wanted to get some ideas of places we could go on our own to snorkel. And am talking the west side of the island. We have snorkeled a lot over the years...in fact were divers (I've even made dives in Kona) but switched over several years ago.

So we're looking for suggestions and also specifics if needed as to howew to find the place you are suggesting if not obvious. Thanks.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
908 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

Place of refuge - http://www.nps.gov/puho

Everytime we visit, we tour the National Park. This time, we are most definately plan on snorkeling.

Aloha!!

Edited: 19 August 2010, 17:52
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

It is seasonal (winter storms stir things up and the aftermath makes entry/exit harder) and dependent on conditions.

Summer is often dead calm, so places that are super then are not a sure thing in winter.

In general:

Kahaluu

Two Step

Waialea around the little island and over to the point

Mauna Kea beach south and north ends

There are great in summer, sometimes not good or feasible in winter or if there is a swell. Be cautious.

Some places like mm4 on Alii I've never been since we have found no sand and waves there when we go.

Ditto for Kua Bay--we went once, thought it cloudy and mediocre, maybe it is better (south end of beach) in summer, not sure.

Best resource: Mel and Judy Maiinowski's book Snorkel Hawaii, most recent edition, available on Amazon or

http://indigo.malinowski.com/

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
908 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

Honu_Ohana - Mahalo for the link re: snorkeling!

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

Thanks for the link and suggestion....I just ordered the book.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

Place of Refuge.

Kahalu'u beach park.

The beach on the south side of Honokohau Harbor.. get to the beach, snorkel out to the left, in the morning you may see up to 3 dive boats parked here (it's that good). Try to stay inside the mooring lines or not too much outside... boat channel, can be dangerous when the fishing charters return. Not good when there's much of a northwest swell.

King Kamehameha beach hotel beach... head straight off the beach past the heiau, keep to the heiau side of the rope line that divides snorkelers from boats, then keep to the right. There's a nice reef out there, you'll need to swim a couple hundred feet to get to it though. Not good when there's a direct south swell.

Old Airport Park. Go to the end of the runway, then to the little beach just past it. Has some knee knockers heading out, but swim out and head to the right to see nice reef.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

I would like to add A. Bay. Very interesting snorkeling here. Super easy beach access. Hit and miss with clarity ( sunshine helps), but saw a spotted sting ray here, turtles and some people saw a Manta Ray as we were leaving. We actually really liked it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

Kisswells, it would be helpful to say exactly where you found the good snorkeling--where did you enter? Which way did you swim?

Was there live coral as well as the turtle and ray? Many fish?

Thanks.

Edited: 23 August 2010, 14:10
Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

Sure, we parked in the lot and followed the path. Pretty much sat a little to the right of the path and got in the water. There was plenty of coral and fish. We snorkeled out and to the left but not very far. We could see the coral almost immediately and just swam over to it. The sun was in and out that day so snorkeling is better here with sun. Water is a little silty, but my photos were still pretty good. There were lots of fish and coral to swim through and around. Less than the other snorkel spots mentioned, but kept us busy. We didn't snorkel the edges here like we usually do. Auntie was out of steam. Luckily this was good pretty much near where we sat. The snorkel was mostly in pretty shallow water, never deeper than 10 feet.

The Bay is Half moon shaped to the right is the Marriott. Compared to the Marriott we were basically in the middle a little to the left. Great sunset photos here too.

Edited: 24 August 2010, 12:00
9. Re: Tell me 5 good on-your-own snorkel spots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 06:27
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona