We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray Snorkel in October

bedford
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray Snorkel in October

I am looking through copanies to do the Manta Ray Snorkel. There are not a lot of new reviews/comments on the forums. But would love some feedback.

The big companies I have alreayd contacted (Fair Wind and Sea Paradise).

I am looking to compare:

Boat - cant be a choppy one (like a zodiac as the person I am with might get sick).

Time in the water

Place where they go (I just read a review that said they saw more Manta Ray's at a place by the airport vs in front of Sheraton??). Not sure if this is still the case as the review was a year old. Is there really a better place (more chance of seeing them).

Setup for snorkeling. Example..if we have to stay still...ease of holding onto something. -- how crowded the space would be holding on to the pvc or rafts etc. If 20 people are around a little raft..it may not be as comfortable etc.

There were some other companies that were coming up - Sunlight on the Water...some of the dive shops also offer snorkel, but may be more geared toward divers.

Love to hear some feedback...

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel in October

The airport site typically gets larger numbers of mantas, but it's a longer boat ride and it won't be a larger catamaran like Fairwinds has. The Sheraton site is pretty much always good for one to three mantas.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel in October

Which companies go to the airport site? I thought I had read somewhere that Kona Honu Divers goes there but I wasn't sure what other options there are for the airport site. Has anyone gone with a dive boat like Kona Honu as a snorkeler? We will be staying at the Hilton so companies based out of Honokohau Harbor would actually be more convenient for us than Keauhou Bay.

on a boat
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel in October

If you look at them in an aquarium you dont even need to get wet.....

That being said sea Paradice and hula kai do just snorkeling. And it comes down to The south site Is more for snorkelers the mantS spend the majority of their time right under the surface . As opposed to on the bottom at the north spot with the divers

bedford
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel in October

Is the north the sheraton or the airport

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel in October

The airport is to the north. Sea Paradise and Fairwinds are based out of Keauhou and only do the Sheraton site. The rest of us primarily do the airport site unless it's getting skunked. 9 mantas at the airport site last night by the way.

Edited: 21 April 2011, 07:11
bedford
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel in October

WOW ..that is really hard to settle for the sheraton then!!!

Do you know how much longer the boat ride is? Makes me want to find a snorkel boat fro the airport!!

on a boat
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel in October

9 mantas up north with at least 6 boats. Their were 5 mantas down south with 2 boats.....

Redding, California
Level Contributor
454 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel in October

We went with Kona Honu Divers several years ago. There were about half and half. snorkelers to divers. We snorkeled. Basically they had the divers go to the bottom and sit, shining their lights upward toward the surface. The snorkelers swam around up above, shining their smaller lights downward, creating an area of light in the middle that drew the plankton in, which in turn drew in the mantas. We had probably 8-10 of them....HUGE...swimming up and down and all around. It was AWESOME! There were several other boats there too, but I never felt crowded. The boat itself was much bigger than a raft, but not super huge. We probably had 15-20 people on board.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel in October

thanks for the info....sounds like an awesome excursion...can't wait

bedford
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manta Ray Snorkel in October

rachc725 - just curious which company are you deciding to go with.

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona