We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heilcopter recommendations - week of 24 Oct

Sea Girt, New Jersey
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Heilcopter recommendations - week of 24 Oct

I am staying on Waikaloa Village. My wife is very determined to not miss a helcopter ride of the volcano. It is expensive....but is it worth it (4-500 PP). And with 5 of us (2 adults 3 kids (17/15/8)..... any recommendations on how to get the best price? or who to go with?

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heilcopter recommendations - week of 24 Oct

With a family of 5, a flight out of Hilo will cost about $200 PP is a great way to see lava or an airplane ride from the Kona airport would be the way to see more of the island for around $300 PP..Check with your concierge. They will be more than happy to accomodate you and the family. Aloha

from another local concierge

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heilcopter recommendations - week of 24 Oct

I've only had one experience, with Sunshine Helicopters, but I documented it here: davidskvr.net/Life_in_the_Soft_Lane/Heli_I.h…

Take a look and see if you'd like it. Although they picked me up at Kona Village, their heliport is at Hapuna.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 05:39
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heilcopter recommendations - week of 24 Oct

A full Island tour, for a family of 5, will cost over $2,500 on Sunshine out of Hapuna, We've taken it once and found the length to be quite a bit in excess of what we (strictly an imo) find enjoyable; there is quite a bit of "are we there yet?" time between major sights. The helicopter used was an EC-130 which is a significant improvement over the more commonplace A-Star in terms of smoothness, seating comfort/visibility and window area.

Sunshine's website ( sunshinehelicopters.com/hawaii/…hawaii.html ) indicates a WhisperStar (EC-130), but I believe they relocated that helicopter to Kauai. In possible confirmation, clicking on the "view helicopter & seating comparison" button, produces a picture & information pertaining to an A-Star. To clear this up, you might want to contact Sunshine direct.

Blue Hawaiian ( http://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/tours/ ) has at least 4 EC-130's/EcoStars and the "Big Island Spectacular" is priced at $2,500 ($2,000 if an A-Star is selected). We have flown with Blue Hawaiian many times, on both the Big Island, Maui/Molokai & Oahu and they run a first class operation.

A third option, among the full Island/west coast departures is Paradise Helicopters ( paradisecopters.com/search.php… ) leaving from the Kona airport. Paradise offers a couple of added ground options that may be of interest. However, items that I consider to be worthy of mention are: The chopper is a Bell 407. Only flown this type once & would hesitate do do so again: Both the A-Star & EC-130 have 2 front passenger seats; the 407 has only 1. The second row has 2 seats; both by windows...but they face backwards. The third row has 3 seats, but would think your group would be assigned to windows. In addition, Paradise does not offer tour flight videos; both Sunshine & Blue Hawaiian have excellent video capability (multiple exterior cameras + one in-cabin...so keep a grinnin)..

As an alternative to the preceding, especially since your interest is primarily seeing the volcano, you might want to drive over to the east side, take a Hilo flight and spend a night in Volcano Village. This would enable you time to take a ground tour of VNP; both day and night. Been 9 months since our last visit, but here is a current thread with great ideas/info: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60583-i630-k48880…

Blue Hawaiian's Hilo "Circle of Fire" tour ( bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/… ) actually spends a little more time over the volcano and an Eco-Star for your family would cost "only" $1,200. Gas and park admission would be less than 100 bucks and lodging (can't help; we rent a house and the minimum stay is 3 nights, but I'm sure a TA thread on this subject would produce several good ideas)would probably be in the area of $300: total cost $1,600; leaving $'s for a bunch of Blue Hawaiian & Volcano T-shirts!.

4. Re: Heilcopter recommendations - week of 24 Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 15:19