We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco terminal change

Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco terminal change

We have booked a condo in Kona, now looking at flights...the cheapest flight is Calgary - San Francisco - Kona... the stop over time in SF is only 49 minutes... is this enough time?

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco terminal change

If you have to get from one terminal to the next I would think you are really taking a huge risk. It will take you 10-15 minutes to get off the first flight and then 15 minutes to get to the next terminal. I wouldn't chance it. What happens if you leave Calgary 1/2 an hour late?

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco terminal change

Not nearly enough time...don't forget that you have to retreive your bags in San Fran and clear customs before getting on your connecting flight. Not sure if you can preclear customs in Calgary first or not.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco terminal change

And when you change terminals, you have to go through security, right?

Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco terminal change

I believe we go thru security in Calgary because stopping in US and final destination is US.... You are all right and have confirmed what I was thinking it is far too risky... I will look for another flight.

Thanks

G2
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco terminal change

Flew the same route with United three winters ago and it turned out to be very stressful...United cut back the 4 hour layover in SF to your mentioned 49 mins.

Problems started when our plane for the Calgary to San Francisco leg was late getting into Calgary due to a storm in Chicago. When we did finally get to San Francisco the plane had trouble hooking up the door to the disembarking ramp and we lost another valuable 10 mins. Fortunately the Calgary United agent moved our seat further up in the plane so it gave us a chance. Once off the plane we had to literally sprint 12 or more gates (within the same terminal) to get to the departure gate for the flight to Kona. My wife almost ran over a woman with a stroller to hand over our boarding passes as people were shouting "the gate is closing". We were the third last on the plane.

Our sons and families took the same flight the next day and got from Calgary to San Francisco with time for a light breakfast before having to board for Kona....luck of the draw.

On related notes, we cleared US customs in Calgary and did not have to worry about doing it in San Francisco. Our bags were also tagged in Calgary for Kona and we did not pick them up in San Francisco...of course this meant we had to go to Kona airport the next day to pick them up as they did not make the same flight as we did.

We are sure believers in direct flights from Calgary to the Hawaiian Islands even if we pay a little more for the peace of mind.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
G2
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco terminal change

Flew the same route with United three winters ago and it turned out to be very stressful...United cut back the 4 hour layover in SF to your mentioned 49 mins.

Problems started when our plane for the Calgary to San Francisco leg was late getting into Calgary due to a storm in Chicago. When we did finally get to San Francisco the plane had trouble hooking up the door to the disembarking ramp and we lost another valuable 10 mins. Fortunately the Calgary United agent moved our seat further up in the plane so it gave us a chance. Once off the plane we had to literally sprint 12 or more gates (within the same terminal) to get to the departure gate for the flight to Kona. My wife almost ran over a woman with a stroller to hand over our boarding passes as people were shouting "the gate is closing". We were the third last on the plane.

Our sons and families took the same flight the next day and got from Calgary to San Francisco with time for a light breakfast before having to board for Kona....luck of the draw.

On related notes, we cleared US customs in Calgary and did not have to worry about doing it in San Francisco. Our bags were also tagged in Calgary for Kona and we did not pick them up in San Francisco...of course this meant we had to go to Kona airport the next day to pick them up as they did not make the same flight as we did.

We are sure believers in direct flights from Calgary to the Hawaiian Islands even if we pay a little more for the peace of mind.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco terminal change

Canadian travellers flying "Transborder" to the U.S.A have the convenience of pre-clearing US Customs at their point of Departure from most of the major airports.........YUL,YYZ,YWG,YYC,YEG,YVR....etc.. The arrival then at your US destination is treated basically as a domestic flight....no further Customs or Immigration to clear.

Checked baggage in most cases will be checked through to your final destination when checking in at your Departure city.....provided that you present all itineraries (if more than one)..... and...the involved airlines have an "Interline agreement" Most of the majors do...AC, United with Hawaiian airlines... Delta with HA etc..

The connection of 49 mins at SFO...while perhaps allowed.. is far from ideal. I would not leave it that tight. You don't mention what time of year you are travelling? Either way...there can be a myriad of reasons for delay other than weather. Too risky IMO.

Curious comment about having to go back to KOA to pick-up baggage that didn't make the flight. Anytime we have not had luggage arrive with us on the flight.(More times than I can count)..it has always been delivered to our accommodation or home by the Airline...whenever it arrives.

YYC has fairly good scheduling to Hawaii....either direct or through YVR.

Mentioned in this post
Keahole Airport
Keahole Airport
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco terminal change

49 minutes connection time at SFO might be O.K. if you check thru security and customs at Calgary and check your bags all the way thru to Kona and have no travel delays what so ever. Howerver, one of the Delta flights coming from the west coast on my last trip into Kona was delayed over 4 hours and travel delays from your starting point in the winter months are much more likely.

Travel delay going to Hawaii is def. not wanted to avoid having your car reservations and accomodations messed up, where as going back a little delay is not really that big of an issue.

Your safe bet is to spend a night or two in SFO and get the early flight into Kona so you can enjoy that afternoon on the beach :)

Regarding what goes in your luggage.....that's all the stuff you can live without and your critical meds and camera and net book, etc. go into your carry on bag. I remember landing once in Kauai and the father had lost all of the family luggage and apparently not prepared for that situation. So keep that in the back of your mind when packing.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco terminal change

Unless you are going for an extended stay there is no reason to check luggage going to Hawaii. My wife and I have it down and can get everything in our carry on no problem, even for as long as 10 days. When I see some of these women with full size pullmans and carry ons and extra bags I have to wonder what the heck they are thinking. Travel light!!!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco terminal change

I have to Agee with dada... Especially if u r staying in a condo. Bring a few whites and wash them while you are at the beach. "dress up" might be a joy... But why do it in Hawaii?

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States