We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

Hello,

I am interested in renting a Kona Vacation condo rental during Feb 23rd to March 2nd. The condo owners have requested a full payment in either pay pal or check. Is this the proper protocol? If somebody who has prior experience with renting vacation rentals could share their experience, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Haena

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

The standard is to pay a security deposit and pay the remaining balance 30 days prior arrival. Use a credit card, if the owners don't accept credit cards than move on.

California
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

Credit Card is the only way to go.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

Full payment up front seems a tad steep, but I've seen it before. We typically take a couple hundred on deposit, then half down within two weeks with the remainder due 30 days prior to arrival. When we've gone on vacation it's been similar, on occasion we've found the occasional even more liberal rental (Las Vegas) where after the initial deposit the remainder isn't due 'til 2 weeks in advance, but that's very rare.

I'm not keen on writing checks the first time I'm dealing with someone. I really like using credit cards unless I can verify the owner/property, I'm not sure about PayPal, but I suspect it's safer than a check. The problem with full payment up front by check is that these days with properties going into foreclosure there's always a slight chance you could run into an owner who's looking to take the money and run.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

Here is some info on Paypal guarantees and fraud protection services.

…ebay.com/…

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr…

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr…

When you pay with Paypal, you don't need to use your bank account. You can use a credit card. You select other form of payment, not your default.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
320 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

Don't count on Paypal being very helpful in getting your $ back. I've had trouble with them a number of times when the seller doesn't fulfull their part of the bargain, including not honoring return policies listed on the seller's web site.

Paypal just doesn't care.

And when someone can open an account and immediately start getting money, spend that money, and withdrawal that money, it can be gone in an instant.

Legitimate businesses who accept credit cards have their account on the line, and it's not so easy to open, have substantial charge-back fees, and stand to have their processing rates increased or the account closed.

My bank at least will give me instant credit when I file a dispute and really fights for fair treatment from sellers for me.

In short, I will never ever again use paypal for anything more than $50 (that's my liability limit for fraud with my credit card) and will strongly advise against anyone using paypal if they think there's some protection there.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

I've experienced two service/product deficiencies, exceeding $1,000, involving Paypal. In both instances, after supplying the required explanation/documentation, the charges were promptly reversed.

Question: PayPal processes charges to authorized credit cards. If Paypal fails to deliver satisfactory service, why not file a "Dispute of Charge" with your credit card issuer against PayPal?

Have been renting condos & houses direct from individuals, in Hawaii & elsewhere, for many years...have never been asked (nor would I) to pay in full up front. However, if you are renting within the specified period for final payment (be it 2 weeks, 30 or 60 days), then, of course, you would be required to make full payment coincident with making the reservation.

One other item for your consideration; we have had two experiences of rentals being placed on the market, or actually sold, prior to occupancy. in one instance it was an inconvenience (satisfactorily compensated), while the other resulted in a last minute scramble to find alternative lodging. Now, we always check local MLS listings to see if our intended rental is for sale.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

We have rented dozens of Vacation condos/villas over the past number of years.

Initially (a couple of times) we paid by cheque. At the time, there were not many owners "set-up" for credit card payments. We did not have any issues at the time.Those times are gone.....

In the past 5 years , we have paid exclusively with credit card(No Paypal). If credit cards are not accepted or if the owner wants to charge extra "transaction fees"....we look elsewhere. We have never had any trouble finding lovely accommodation that suits our needs and terms.

Most owners/ management companies require a $500 deposit at time of booking (We are usually booking 9 months to a year out) From there the scenarios will vary.... Some will then ask for 50% at 90 days out from arrival and then balance at either 30 or 60 days. Lately, most of the Full Balance due dates have been 60 days.

It has been about 50-50 for us in regards to how the transactions have been handled from time of rental inquiry. Some have been handled all with the individual owner (Contract, deposit, balance etc)....with an on-Island property manager's phone number to contact if issues arrive. The other half of the time has been through owner initially to negotiate rate etc...then handed off to a Management company for all of the payment details and forwarding of contract etc. Either method has worked well.

Full payment at time of booking ( unless arrival is < 60 days out)....would have me looking elsewhere.

The issue with a unit being on the market(For Sale) is one that we have come across a time or two.....especially in the past couple of years when it seemed like almost every unit was for sale...

We will inquire as to whether the unit is currently up for sale ( or research ourselves)....but to date .. this information .has not discouraged us from renting.

In this economic climate many (most) new owners will honor previous bookings and are happy to have repeat clients. Finding and reserving a condo that is not for sale presently does not guarantee it will not be put up for sale in the future. There is risk clearly.....

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

I've already paid in full my condo in Kailua for the end of Jan. That was paid with a credit card. Now the BnB in Hilo only required the first night to reserve. I've had to pay on other stays 60 days prior to arriving. So this didn't seem unusual to me.

9. Re: Paying deposits for Kona Vacation condo rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2012, 10:18