We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do

a S
Woodbury,Mn
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What to do

Have visited the big island about a half dozen times and have done all the touristy things. We are looking for little out of the way, best kept secrets whether they be adventures, shopping, restaurants, spas

etc.

Thanks!

Colorado
Level Contributor
250 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do

please let me know what you find out...ana

California
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do

Have you gone horseback riding? My grandson and I did this several years ago. http://waipioonhorseback.com/

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,121 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do

I'm afraid when it comes to restaurants, shopping, and spas, there aren't very many secrets, since there's no reason for people to keep them to themselves! :-)

While not secrets, as far as recommendations go, I really like the Spa Without Walls at the Fairmont Orchid. Merriman's has, IMO, probably the best food on the island, but is up in Waimea and isn't in a resort so is more off the beaten path. I live near Holualoa, a little town up mauka of Kailua-Kona, and like the little shops and galleries, and the restaurant in town, Holuakoa, is quite good.

I'm not a fan of Fish Hopper in town except their oysters are good, they usually have Kumamotos. Monstera in the Shops at the Mauna Lani is becoming one of my regular dinner spots. Great Japanese food. Whole flash fried opakapaka, great sushi (baked scallop roll is awesome), decent cheap wines. Last night we had a big dinner for two, three courses, a bottle of wine, $110 (not including tip). Not bad for fine dining on the Kohala coast.

And if you haven't done it yet, really not a secret, but do the manta ray night snorkel or dive, and if you're divers, the night dive, pelagic magic.

Edited: 17 January 2012, 21:36
4. Re: What to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 03:35
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do

It''s hard to imagine anyone's done "all" of the touristy adventures on the Big Island. I'm in a tourist biz and get to talk with people about a lot of things they do, ran across someone mention Kula Kai Caverns for the first time. They said they really enjoyed it and it sounded more interesting than I expected. It's on my eventual to do list, along with lots of other things I haven't done in my now 13 years here.

Restaurant's will probably require something new, then again, I run into lots of people who say they've eaten anywhere and then I ask what they thought of Hawaiian Style Cafe versus everywhere else and they say they've never heard of it.

My recommendation for a restaurant/bar in Kailua that's been around for a year and a half or so that doesn't get a lot of mention is Okolemaluna... that's of course if you drink or have a thing for tasty pupus, if you care for neither it's more of an interesting place to sit for a while.

My point is, there's lots of things here, I can't imagine running out of things to do in a few trips. There's always a new adventure here.

6. Re: What to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona