We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
386 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

We are looking at a timeshare exchange in Kona and RCI is offering us a one-bedroom unit at the Kona Coast Resort II for the end of November (need to confirm by tomorrow). Any feedback on this resort, location and/or weather at this time of year (we did check out some reviews but they seem to be by owners who may be a little biased).

We know that there is a golf course between the resort and the beach, but are wondering if there is good snorkeling nearby.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

KCR is the only resort condo in Kona and the units are nice. It's a classy operation, you won't be disappointed. (Phase II is much nicer than Phase I.) Please note that there is no beach there, it's all cliffs, and since the golf course is a private property you can't access the ocean from there. However, just a short walk away is Kahaluu Beach, which is a very well known snorkeling spot with a small dirty gray sand area. White/Disappearing Sands is a small beach about two miles away, though it probably will not have any sand in November. We don't really have good beaches on the island, but there are a few on the Kohala Coast, about an hour drive from Kona.

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
386 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

Thank you for the information - it is greatly appreciated. It sounds like we got lucky with the exchange.

We will probably spend some extra time in Kona - would you please recommend a hotel on the Kohala Coast with a nice beach?

Thanks for the additional help.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,212 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

I personally would choose to spend less time in Kona and more on the Kohala Coast.

With respect to a beachfront hotel, there are really only a few beaches on the Big Island with hotels/resorts: The Mauna Kea, the Hapuna Prince, the Mauna Lani, the Fairmont Orchid, The Marriot Waikoloa (all on the Kohala Coast), and the Four Seasons Hualalai (about 20 minutes north of Kona town).

The Mauna Kea and the Prince are on the two nicest, largest beaches but are my two least favourite hotels of the above list. The Prince is however a good value at around $200/nt. The Mauna Kea is, IMO, overpriced at around $400 per night, but is much nicer than the Prince.

The Fairmont Orchid is a nice smaller hotel, very small beach and can have lots of families and convention crowd. Ditto the Waikoloa Marriot. The Orchid is around $275 per night. The Waikoloa Marriot is in Waikoloa Beach which is a big overbuilt development area centered around Anaehoomalu Bay, a beach that isn't good for much besides windsurfing and eroded a lot in the tsunami last year. It's a more budget option at $200.

The Mauna Lani is my favourite resort area outside of the FS Hualalai. It is an oceanfront hotel and several condo complexes surrounding a series of seven fishponds, part of an ancient Hawaiian aquaculture system. It's a beautiful and more low key, Hawaiiana atmosphere than WB. The Mauna Lani has a small but nice beach with great snorkelling. Rates for the condos start at around $200, $300+ for the hotel.

Lastly is Four Seasons Hualalai, which is IMO the best hotel in the state, and priced accordingly at $700+ per night. It's oceanfront, but no open ocean access unless you walk to Kukio Bay about 15 minutes south or north to the old Kona Village about 10 minutes north. There is a nice saltwater snorkel pool on property with fish and eagle rays.

Rates above are just guidelines and vary depending on dates of travel, room category, etc.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

Shea, they are doing a time share exchange with Shell, so they have no choice since there is no Shell time share up North, except the Paniolo Greens in Waikoloa Village.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,212 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

She asked for recs for a hotel with a nice beach in Kohala, I gathered she was thinking about doing that in addition to the Kona tineshare.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

I was referring to the "I personally would choose to spend less time in Kona and more on the Kohala Coast" remark. I assume their time with the time share exchange is set.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
41 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

Getting an exchange at Kona Coast is a great accomplishment! It was our first extended stay on the Big Island, 15 years after a brief 3 days in Hilo. Since then we have been back 5 times, for longer and longer periods. The development is nicely maintained and the units are well-equipped. The Keauhou area has a supermarket, Sam Choy's new restaurant, and a great snorkeling site nearby. It's a drive (10 minutes) to Kailua and another to the South Kohala beaches, but not bad for a week's "free" stay. It's not perfect, but what in life is?

I say, Go for it!

8. Re: Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 21:05
Arizona
Level Contributor
878 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

we're 3 months away from our first trip to BI - and feel pretty fortunate to have gotten the week we requested thru II at Kona Coast resort 2. we discussed the options for timeshare requests with II, and put in a handful of resorts for the same week. we're starting to look at options of things to do without committing ourselves to anything just yet. so far our list includes: Kua bay, Makalawena beach, Wailea bay and exploring the Kohala coast. with 2 friends to visit in the Kona area, we may not get to even these few places, as we're prepared to go with what our friends may suggest we have to see while we're there. pretty sure it'll ALL be good :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,212 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback on Kona Coast Resort II

FYI, you can basically only get to Makalawaena these days with a lifted 4x4 or a very long, hot walk. Your friends may have the appropriate vehicle.

Kua Bay got paved access and facilities and is often very crowded and has, IMO, lost a lot of appeal but it's still a lovely swimming beach in summer. In winter and spring there can be little sand and some powerful waves, so use common sense (unless you're experienced surfers and bodyboarders and are going for that reason?)

By Wailea Bay I assume you mean

Waialea Bay. It also can be very iffy in March and April, and is usually still a surfers beach then, which again, is maybe what you're looking for, but if not but you can get some calm summer-like days when it's good, especially in April. It stays pretty churned up though in early spring.

Edited: 28 January 2012, 19:48