We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ride into Kona

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Ride into Kona

Staying at The Hilton and not renting a car. What are the options and prices to go into Kona a few nights?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,440 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ride into Kona

I believe your only option is a taxi, which will be very expensive. The Hilton is about 45 minutes from Kailua-Kona. I'm not sure exactly how much a taxi costs from there since I've never done it, but I'm going to guess $60 each way.

This second part of the answer doesn't directly address your question, but is offered just in case you were unaware of the issues with not having a car here.

The Big Island is not set up for anyone to get around without a car, even residents. Our public bus transportation is limited and doesn't focus on resort areas. You will spend more on taxis than if you just rented a car, even just going into town once or twice.

In addition, you will have no access to the area's good beaches, snorkeling, restaurants, hiking, valleys, surfing, or anything else. Waikoloa Beach is a touristy resort bubble. It could be anywhere and just has one heavily eroded beach not suitable for most ocean activities except windsurfing.

If you can not or do not drive, you might want to consider staying in Kailua-Kona. you still will miss out on most of what the BI has to offer, including beaches, but at least you will have more restaurant choice, a swimmable ocean with good snorkelling, paddle boarding, surfing if you want, and even some boat tours which leave from the pier.

If you knew all this already and for whatever reason are fine with it, feel free to ignore. It's offered because some people understandably aren't aware of the isolation of the BI resort areas and transportation difficulties.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ride into Kona

It would be close to $100 Shea, it's $40 from the airport to my place in Kona and the Hilton is at least twice the distance.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,440 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ride into Kona

Thanks, TT. Yikes, that's a lot!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ride into Kona

You need a car on the BI. The Waikoloa resorts are a ways away from anywhere you want to go. On the other hand why do you want to go into Kona for a few nights? There are not a lot of great restaurants there as opposed to the Kohala coast.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ride into Kona

Yeah, definitely closer to $100/one way...as KOA - Waikoloa beach resort is $60 plus Tip.

I can't imagine the Big Island without a vehicle. Do rent one if you are able...

If it's a $$$ thing....just the taxi alone from KOA to the Hilton and return comes close to a small vehicle rental charge.

You are going to want to escape the Hotel property...

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ride into Kona

One reason to not rent a car is that the Hilton charges you $15 a day to park. The original poster may not be a driver, since he's from a major city. (And if he's looking to go into Kona at night, he may be looking for nightlife and may not want to drive back afterwards.)

That being said, it's usually cheaper and far more convenient to just rent a car for the entire trip.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ride into Kona

Yup, I think you're looking at 60-65 to get to the Hilton from the airport, then 100 each direction to and from Kailua if you want to visit it by taxi, then 60-65 to return back to the airport at the end of the stay. One can run up 300-400 bucks minimum in taxi fare in quick order here since everytrhing is so spread out.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ride into Kona

Stayed at The Hilton before for a week without a car. We went on some fabulous tours. They picked us up at the resort. Didn't need a car. I had a stroke a few years ago. Recovered quite well. Could drive, but prefer not to.

Would like to walk around in Kona for an evening. We like to shop, contribute to the local economy, and enjoy an occasional inexpensive meal. Thought Kona would fit the bill. Our package deal brings airport transfers way down. Anyone know about these shuttle companies?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ride into Kona

Harry, I was behind a shuttle on Waikoloa Road yesterday and thought of you, tried to memorize the phone number.

Resort Shuttle

808-987-2108

PUCicensed

Dine-around and airport transit

Also check into Speedi Shuttle

Www.speedishuttle.com

Hilton website has a transportation section.

Lastly, what I would do is call the Hilton concierge. Very few people on this forum use shuttles, so it's not your best source of info. It's the Hilton's job to know all your options as their guest.

10. Re: Ride into Kona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2013, 09:23