We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocktails on the beach?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
138 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Cocktails on the beach?

Now, this may be an overly romantic notion; based entirely in fantasy...but as part of our tropical BI experience, we were hoping to spend some quality time sitting on the beach, drinking cocktails.

Does anyone know of any beach that offers such a service, or even a resort with reasonable resort fees?

Thanks in advance!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Cocktails on the beach?

Hawaiidan...

I support you at every opportunity, but you have to get your facts straight.

Apart from some special circumstances at the beach fronting part of Kona Village (relating to its underlying fee ownership by BE/KS), the hotels you named DO NOT provide drink service to persons on the beach.

Because I was astounded by your comment, I just called a friend who works at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel and asked him about it.

While there is a bar adjacent to the becahfront, it is on a cement pad on MKB property. You can walk up to the bar, get a libation, and no one hassles you if you take it (illegally) out to your spot on the beach.

But, they will not provide cocktail waitress service off of the fee owned (private) property and onto the public beach; with the exception of rare special permits granted for some parties.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cocktails on the beach?

...and for a little do-it-yourself supplemental suggestion: how 'bout packing a thermos, mixing up some Mai Tais and heading up north of the airport to one of the beautiful beaches?

Avoid the weekend and should be relatively uncrowded.

(Darn it; can't find my notes, but just a few miles past the airport, you'll see a sign on the right for the Hawaii Veterans Cemetery. If you turn left, there is a new paved road that leads to a beautiful little beach with exceptionally soft white sand. There is ample parking and even a guard (!). Think it might be a part of KeKaha Kai State Park, to the south, but the "road" to that area is terrible.)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Cocktails on the beach?

Kaama...

That is the northernmost section of the State park.

Hawaiidan said he thought the road down to Kua Bay and the Awakee shoreline had been paved; but I must have missed it (and I just drove by there).

I believe it was a concession on the part of the nearby Maniniowali and Kukio Bay developers.

Did you notice if they control access in any way (gates?) or have posted access hours?

Now if they can just get BE/KS to commit their incredibly beautiful Makalawena lands to the park (lying between the two existing sections), it will be on its way to a world-class public park.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cocktails on the beach?

Hey Amber,

If I get my nerve up, I'll ask the Wife if she remembers, but afraid I'm in for some serious keester-kicking for losing the notes.

Near as I can recall (with a little help from hawaiiweb), Kua Bay is accessed via a donkey path around mile marker 91. That's where we first headed, but I chickened out after about a mile. After making a uey, we tried to warn a couple of hot-dogs, but got a "shove it geezer" stare & off they went. I got out of the car & tried to see if they made it; couldn't tell, but heard one god-awful metal/rock noise.

Will be interested to see what you come up with as far as further improvements are concerned; the Big Island definitely could use more quality roads to the limited # of beaches.

kama

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cocktails on the beach?

All beaches are public in Hawaii, therefore nobody can serve alcohol there. Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Four Seasons and the Kona Village Resort are the three that come close to serving drinks near to the beach and most of the hotels have poolside bars.

Mesa, AZ
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Cocktails on the beach?

Hi, I have been reading some of the messages and we are heading to the Kona Village Resort on Saturday April 8th, how has the weather been there, we hear it is raining and will continue to rain the entire week we ate there. Please give me some input on the weather conditions while you are there. I planned on getting some sun there not clouds.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cocktails on the beach?

It hardly ever rains at the KVR. It hardly ever rains during the day in Kona/Kohala. You will be OK, we have nice weather.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cocktails on the beach?

thats a fact......since november we in kona have had only 3.1 inches of rain... we need it... KAUAI is still awash.....

I dont know the tax- id of Kona Village but I am sure amberloo can come up with it.... and prove us all wrong.....oh well oI just live here.....report on what I see.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Cocktails on the beach?

At least it would be right Dan...

They still serving drinks on the beach at your hotel?