We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

We are headed to the Big Island in a couple days and want to do a little planning for the back-end of our trip. The day we have to come home we fly out at 7:00 pm, and are trying to figure out what to do with that day. We will have to check out of our condo on the early side. We will fly out from the Kona airport, so I guess it makes sense to find some activities within 20 miles or so of the airport to keep the stress levels down. Does anyone have some good recommendations as to what activities would fit in that don't involve changing clothes or higher levels of physical activity so we don't feel like we want a shower before a 9 hour flight home? We are open to most any idea as long as it is easy and safe to leave a car with luggage in it.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,274 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

It would really help if you could tell us what all you already have planned, then we don't duplicate - thanks! :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

we will have already been to VNP and the Waikoloa/Waimea areas. Most of our time will have been on the beaches north of Kona and hikes and exploring to the north. So really, we are looking for non-water activities in and around Kona, and we should probably rule out longer hikes or other physical activities where one might expect to break a sweat... I don't want to offend anyone on the flight home! We won't be in Kona much until that final day - so most ideas should work. If you have a good idea for a travel day - we will save it for our last day because those kind of activities are hardest to find. Hope that helps explain what we are after.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,274 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

Do you like driving around? That is usually a good way to stay clean before flight.

I would head to the Place of Refuge if you haven't been there before:

http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm

I might also check out this spot

http://www.thepaintedchurch.org

For some things to check out right in Kona:

gohawaii.com/big-island/regions-neighborhood…

I would do any last minute shopping in Kona and have a late lunch there - you will need to be at the airport no later than 5, so do plan accordingly. Have fun! :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

coalminer - thanks - these are just the kinds of ideas we are looking for. we'll have a car - so we don't mind a drive that isn't too terribly far from Kona.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

Can you check with your condo about a later check out? Last year when we went to the BI our hotel allowed us to check out later, as long as another guest wasn't coming into that room. We checkout out at 2-4pm if I remember correctly. We went down to the Kona Brewery and took a tour, had a glass of beer, and ordered an early dinner, as our flight was at 7 or 9 pm (can't remember exact time).

We will be in the same situation this year, as our flight back to TX will leave at 9 pm.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

Dazeepetal - That is another good idea to go to the brewery. Unfortunately - we do need to vacate our condo early, so a few places to visit for the day will have to be our solution. This seems like a common problem - its hard to have a long wait for a flight on the day out. Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,274 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

I can't remember how long the drive was - we did it on a Sunday afternoon at a leisurely pace. Have a great time! :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,199 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

Lot of people hang out at the Four Seasons before a flight as it's just 5-10 minutes away from the airport. Lawn and beach and tidepools for kids, beach bar and open air restaurants. You can walk the beach and fishponds next door at Kikaua Point and Kukio for turtle and bird viewing. There's a large ocean "pool" in front of the hotel and decent snorkeling at Kahuwai on the north end (old Kona Village) If you do decide you want to get in the water, and outdoor showers.

There's a snack and smoothie bar up by the general store (which sells cool local products), also a snack and smoothie bar down by the beach. High end clothes shopping (or in my case, looking) at the shops at the spa, golf course, and lobby building, and a cultural center.

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

How do you get permission to use their facilities? Is there a day pass? My flight leaves at 10:30 at night.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,199 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kailua-Kona Travel Day Activities

No day pass, you can't use their facilities like the pools, but all the restaurants, ocean, beach areas, cultural center, shops mentioned above are open to the public.