We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Kona -- Yea or nay?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,110 posts
389 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Kona -- Yea or nay?

We've enjoyed brief stops on the Big Island on cruises in the past. Late next March we'll be staying a week with friends at our Worldmark resort south of Kailua-Kona. We plan on staying a few extra days after they leave, moving to a differnt resort/hotel. RCI exchanges don't have much to offer at that time, but I've found some pretty good deals at the Royal Kona resort. The photos on TA look pretty inviting, and reviews seem mostly favorable. I can get a 1BR ocean-view for 4 nights for $630 (taxes included). Should I pull the trigger and take the deal? Your opinions are appreciated.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Kona -- Yea or nay?

For some reason the Royal Kona gets ripped on this forum fairly frequently. I guess it really depends on what room you happen to be staying in, but I spent a night in the newly remodled Marriott Courtyard in April, and a night at the Royal Kona in May, and the Royal Kona was a lower price, better value, bigger room, better view. The Marriott had nicer looking linens, both places had small and not so nice baths in my opinion.

You might be able to find some condo space with more room and in-room amenities for the price you are looking at elswhere if you are willing to look around, but for a hotel room in Kailua there are not a whole lot of options.

Once again, I'm not sure what the typical room options at the RKR are, ours had a wetbar, our package may have included a free "upgrade". If all rooms are like that, then theyr'e bigger than the competition down the street's basic rooms.

Edited: 01 September 2012, 01:41
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Kona -- Yea or nay?

As long as you're not looking for a beach, I think it's fine. We spent a fair amount of time at Don's Mai-Tai Bar ;-) when my wife and I were there in June, and liked the looks of the place. And it's more convenient to downtown than the Worldmark.

If you're looking for a change from a downtown location, where you'd have a beach and better access to other nice beaches, I'd suggest something up north on the Kohala Coast. Tough to beat your quoted price up there though.

3. Re: Royal Kona -- Yea or nay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2013, 10:15