We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner recommendation ?

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
148 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner recommendation ?

Hello,

We will be staying in Kailua-Kona at the Courtyard Marriott King Kamehameha. After spending a day in the sun and on the water, we prefer to eat close to where we are staying and not do a lot of driving to get somewhere for dinner.

Suggestions for someplace to eat dinner -- good food -- doesn't have to be upscale or fancy. We don't want to get dressed up.

thanks!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner recommendation ?

Fish Hopper, Huggo's and Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill are all quite good and within about 2 miles of your hotel.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,174 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner recommendation ?

I personally find most of the restaurants in Kailua Kona very poor, however there are a few good exceptions that also happen to be walking distance from your hotel, namely Rapa Nui, and Original Thai. I also like Falafel in Paradise for casual lunch or dinner and Quinn's right across the street from the Courtyard.

Of the above poster's three recommendations, only Jackie Rey's is good IMO. YMMV. I do very much like Holuakoa Gardens, about 15 minutes drive up to the cute gallery town of Holualoa.

There's really no place here where you need to dress up, even at the high end resort restaurants dress is casual.

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
148 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner recommendation ?

Thank you. I am sure some of these will work

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,265 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner recommendation ?

Well just wander the seawall down to The Kona Inn...it's been our fave for 36 years. We spent our honeymoon at the original King Kam, it was the "place to be" then and our several meals in Feb. this year at the Kona Inn were wonderful!

Yamhill, Oregon
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner recommendation ?

That is not really true about casual dress. The high end resorts in the North actually have signs posted saying Resort Wear Required. There are a lot of good restaurants in Kona, and the wonderful carefree atmosphere is much more desirable IMO, than the stuffy overpriced resorts. We love Kona Brewery.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,174 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner recommendation ?

That's just not true. I eat at the resorts all the time and have never seen a dress code sign. I routinely see people in shorts and in the case of the Beach Tree, Resident's Beach House, Hau Tree, Napua, I've eaten in my bathing suit. Even at the few "formal" resort restaurants you will see at the most "resort casual" requests in the hotel information (NOT signs) which is hardly dressing up. Throw on a collared short over your shorts, a pareo over your bathing suit, and you're good to go. I even forgot my slippahs in the car once (I usually drive and walk around barefoot and sometimes forget to grab them when I get out) and the hostess at Manta told me 'no worry, we call those Maui slippahs'.

Also the notion that the resorts here are "stuffy" is not so IMO. This is a casual island and the hotels reflect that. Places like the Beach Tree and Napua attract a happy mix of residents and tourists in a casual beachfront atmosphere with good Hawaiian music from excellent local musicians, and well known local chefs doing great work. There is a commitment by the chefs at most of the resorts to use local produce and meat and support local growers, which is not the case for most of the restaurants in town. Some of the resorts have formed a relationship with the Waimea middle school and its community garden and have the kids in to bring their produce and get cooking lessons. A few of the resorts have started their own gardens. They have great relationships with local fishermen and get the first and best catches (this is true of Holuakoa Gardens, and Merriman's too, non-resort restaurants).

We who live here have family and friends who work at the resorts and we're proud of our rightly deserved reputation for aloha and casualness at them. No one, whether they choose to stay at a resort or not, should feel hesitant about visiting them or eating at them because of inaccurate information that they are not casual or welcoming. Some of them, like Hualalai and the Mauna Lani, aside from being great places for seeing local artists as mentioned above, have cultural centers, preserved wetlands and fish ponds, do important ecological work with turtles and rehab of marine animals, and are located on fascinating historical grounds that all visitors should see to appreciate the history and uniqueness of the Big Island that you don't get sitting at a pub in town eating pizza. There's nothing wrong with doing that too, but avoiding the "resorts" of the island based on an ill-conceived bias against them or wrong information about dress, is a mistake IMO

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,009 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner recommendation ?

As a reply to Pele222,

I had dinner at the Beach Tree at 4S recently, and I most certainly wasn't wearing Resort Wear, just everyday clothes and and my old slippahs.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,174 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner recommendation ?

I tried to edit, but too late: My above reply was not directed at the OP who understandably wants to have dinner close to where they are staying.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner recommendation ?

Nobody mentioned Splasher's, upstairs across the street from the hotel, yet. Burgers, has a good prime rib special 2-3 days a week, other food as well. Not upscale, but solid.

Edited: 15 October 2012, 21:52
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,663 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner recommendation ?

We have a sentimental attachment to Huggos as the first place we ate dinner on the island, back in 1990. We go every trip. We order carefully...simple grilled fish. We skip the desserts and Go get ice cream or shave ice down the street.