We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debating between 2 condos

Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Debating between 2 condos

I thank everyone for all the great input!!!! Helped me so much, I have two places I am looking at as my favorites in Kona/Kailua One is VRBO 382590 The Beach Villas at Kahalu'u, and the other is VRBO 383188 Alli Villas, anybody have any input? Still looking at Kohala too, altho am leaning toward Kona area.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,989 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debating between 2 condos

Hi Cynthia ...

Have you spoken to the owners to determine if the units are available? Neither has updated their calendar in 2+ months and oddly, both only have the first two weeks of October showing as booked and nothing else.

Re the first one .... Photos look great, and at first glance, 24 reviews are an impressive number, but the fact that the owner posted ALL 24 on one date (October 16, 2011) and didn't even put the correct date of stay for them, makes me wonder. Since then they haven't posted any further reviews ... and not one person who has stayed in this condo has bothered to post a review on the VRBO site. I'm pretty particular when it comes to VRBO listings and feel that an ad reflects the experience that you're likely to have with an owner and the unit. A conversation with the owner and googling the unit number to check for reviews here on TA might help.

Susan

Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debating between 2 condos

You are so right!!! THANKS!!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debating between 2 condos

We considered the Beach Villas at Kahalu'u when planning for a trip this past June, but honestly, I'm glad we didn't stay there. And in hindsight, I think we would have preferred something along the Kohala Coast. If a nice beach is a priority for you, I'm guessing you would too. As someone wrote on your other thread, the beach at Kahalu'u isn't really much of one (by Oregon standards, anyway), and the area is congested. Even though I love to snorkel, it had little appeal to me there. Of the two condos you're considering, I might give the nod to Ali'i Villas, if for no other reason but that it's within walking distance of town. And Don's Mai Tai Bar. ;-)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Debating between 2 condos

Susan makes some valid points...if you are indeed interested in either of these units ...you should have a telephone conversation with the owner in addition to email exchanges.

As to the occupancy calendars being empty...not sure ...The fact that they are both "marked in red" until today's date merely shows dates in the past..They may or may not have been occupied during that time....

Some owners I am told choose not to show their updated occupancy chart for Security reasons.Not sure about this practice as it may just encourage a good number of potential renters to keep looking....elsewhere. Usually in those situations the site will just advise you to contact the owner via email to determine availability......and no calendar is displayed at all.

We love the South Kohala region on the Big Island....clear blue skies, little rain and close proximity to some of the Island's best beaches. Numerous choices to fit most budgets in either Waikoloa Beach Resort, or Mauna Lani Resort.

Kahalu'u holds no allure.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 23:02
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,173 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debating between 2 condos

I agree with the above posts, and good catch by Susan.

Aside from the fact that I don't like the Kahaluu area, what I've heard about the Beach Villas is that they lack airflow and I don't think they have a/c, although individual units may vary. They're across the street from the ocean on busy Alii Drive.

Alii Villas isn't a very attractive complex from driving past it, but it looks like individual units may be fine, and the location is better as you can walk into town, and it's on the ocean side. I'd vet any specific unit pretty carefully.

If you're looking for reasonably priced Kohala Coast condos, look at the Palm Villas and Fairways at the Mauna Lani, Golf Villas too although they're more isolated, I like the convenience to the ML beaches, although all the complexes are walking distance or very short drive and come with a pass to get into the gated lot at the Beach Club (Makaiwa). There are quite a few options in Waikoloa Beach also.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,634 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Debating between 2 condos

If you need to stay south...

I'm no fan of Kona Town, but we have been OK at Keauhou Surf & Racquet -- ONLY oceanfront, and ONLY above the ground floor. It has been some years, but we were content with a 2BR 2 Bath second floor condo that was at the farthest south end, on the ocean. The lanai ovelooked a blow hole. The interior units seemed to lack airflow, and of course being ON the water is wonderful. There is a shopping center up the hill. This unit had A/C but we never used it in February.

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debating between 2 condos

Hi Cynthia! We have stayed at the Beach Villas for the past 8 years and can honestly say it's our favorite spot. The units are always clean and the grounds are well kept. You are far enough away from Kona town so that you don't have a lot of traffic and the fact that you are right across the street from Kahalu'u Beach is also a plus. You are close to the Keahou Shopping Center where there is a great Farmer's Market on Saturdays. Good luck in making your decision!

Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debating between 2 condos

Thanks!!!

9. Re: Debating between 2 condos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2013, 10:16