We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas and I can't rent a car:

United States
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas and I can't rent a car:

I have never had a hard time getting a car. I held the flights while I confirmed the rooms.

I used American Express rewards and the travel agent tried to get me a car after the flights and hotel were booked. She wasn't able to do it online. She told me that she would call all the local contacts to get me a car. She was told that it was pretty much a lost cause.

So, my question is . . . how do I make it work?

One option: We love taking tours. I have found a few that I really want to go on. Do you know what tours will pick us up at our hotel?

I have contacted Roberts about the airport transfer.

We are staying at the Sheraton. We should be able to keep busy and have fun there and take a few tours.

I know we can get a taxi we probably will not do that very often.

How is the food at the Sheraton? Any advice?????

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas and I can't rent a car:

The reason you are having a hard time is that Christmas is one of the busiest times in Hawaii and most folks reserve a year in advance. There is a limited supply . . .and there are several threads (posts) related to the unavailability of car rentals. If I wasn't going to have a car, I would stay on Oahu, where there is a good public transportation. Good luck! :)

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,046 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas and I can't rent a car:

I'm so sorry. The Big Island without a car will be a challenge. I would make it a habit of checking the main rental car agencies daily (at least) for cancellations. Also - talk with your hotel directly. To the concierge or staff person he/she would recommend. Sometimes the hotels have access. Your car will be very expensive - no matter who you get it from.

Please understand that we (here on TA) beat the drum ad nauseum about reserving your car far in advance ... driving home the point that the Islands can - and do - run out of cars. I hope that everything works out for you.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas and I can't rent a car:

Have you tried Harpers? Sometimes they have cars when no one else does.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
936 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas and I can't rent a car:

Check with some of the area hotels, i.e., Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton. They may have cars available at least maybe for a short time.

I have always booked the car immediately after getting my airline tickets. I know that there are deals close to the holidays, but for me, I need to plan at least 6 to 7 months out.

I have seen people try to get a rental car at the counter. The answer is yes, but how much you ask? - $700 a day!!! and it was a Hummer!!

Good luck!!!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,045 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas and I can't rent a car:

The Sheraton is an inconvenient location since unlike other hotels in Kailua Kona proper, your off property restaurant choices are limited, and you are very far from any beaches or good open ocean access. Tours in general are really a poor way to see and experience our island. I would agree to try Harper's and continue to check with all the rental companies.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,054 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas and I can't rent a car:

Susie, you don't find deals close to the holidays here because the car supply is limited and small. Prices only go up. Well, skyrocket.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
936 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas and I can't rent a car:

Oh absolutely! We have been coming to Hawaii for over 6 years during Christmas. It was a family ahead of us looking for a rental vehicle.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,054 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas and I can't rent a car:

Ah, I see. Poor things. I'm seeing ads on Craig's List from people looking for cars to rent. I'd rent mine, but I'd have to wash it. :-)

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
936 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas and I can't rent a car:

Just think of the sand!! When we returned our car to Hertz - the customer service rep checking us in actually gave us $25.00 off the rental due to little or no sand in the car :o)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas and I can't rent a car:

Harpers sucks to deal with. Hiloboy was just talking about that, just dealt with them. Just know that going in if you find something.

While there are no cars for the period of the entire week, the thing to do is start submitting various combinations of dates omitting in particular Christmas and New Years.

And don't stay at the Sheraton with no car. It's not that great and you'll be stuck there relying on shuttles. Try the Marriott Courtyard where you have lots to walk to and there is a beach. Or stay at Marriott Waikoloa where there is also plenty to do close by and you get the resort feel.