We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chicago to honolulu to kona

Pekin, Illinois...
6 posts
Save Topic
chicago to honolulu to kona

OK...I am vacationing on the Big Island in July...my concern is the Honolulu stop. I will have an hour and a half between arrival from Chicago and my second flight to Kona. I have never flown before and have no idea about baggage and everything. I have researched but I want travelers' points of view on this....I will be flying AA from CHI to HON and HA from HON to Kona...I read I can either claim my baggage at HON or let the airline move it to my departing plane?...Furthermore, I am debating having what would be checked baggage shipped vs. paying these outrageous fees, as if were being punished for taking things to help us enjoy our trip. Either way I would just like to make our "baggage" situation the easiest possible....any and all input would be greeeeeaaaatly appreciated!!! Thanks, and look out for me in Kona!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chicago to honolulu to kona

Let the airline transfer your luggage - much easier/less stressful. Also, pack light - shipping things to Hawaii isn't cheap, and there is no need to bring a bunch of stuff here - very casual. Have fun! :)

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chicago to honolulu to kona

90 minutes should be just about perfect connection time. The Honolulu airport is not big. Definitely have your luggage checked through to Kona. It will be much cheaper to pay the airline baggage fees than to ship a suitcase.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chicago to honolulu to kona

Just to clarify.....

Are you saying the ORD-HNL-KOA.....is all on one PNR..? If so they will " Interline" your checked baggage to your final destination.

With baggage inter- lined....once you land at HNL...you can simply walk over to the Inter-island terminal.....to board your HA flight.You can do this while still staying on the " secure" side.

Do make sure to OLCI and print all your boarding passes .

Baggage fees, sadly are a part Airline Travel these days in the US......all part of the cost of the holiday.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chicago to honolulu to kona

They are not punishing you. They are allocating the cost of fuel, which is greater for more weight, to those who are adding the weight by bringing bags. Otherwise they could make bags free but raise the price of all the tickets. Either way the airline will go out of business if it doesn't charge.

If you did ship things, you would need to make sure it was air freighted, as it takes a month or more to get here by boat. That means paying for expedited shipping, and it costs more than the baggage charge.

Pekin, Illinois...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: chicago to honolulu to kona

@Wander, yes...we will be flying immediately (otherwise, without any visiting time) from HNL to KOA, which is our vacation destination...so I ask...does that mean our checked baggage will be the one initial fee the whole way(ORD-HNL-KOA)? or will we still pay for both planes?

@Kam....I didn't mean to come off sounding arrogant or anything..its just I think in some ways people are made to feel like they shouldn't be able to bring a little bit of home on vacation...although in the end I think we may not even end up with more than two checked bags...if that's the case I'll be fine.

Port Angeles, WA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chicago to honolulu to kona

You will pay one fee... you don't pay "per plane."

Let me seriously encourage you to pack really light. Kona is casual. We lived for 3 months on the island with 2 small suitcases (the size they let you take on the plane) plus one small duffel for my daughter, that had some books and toys. Shorts and casual shirts will get you everywhere unless you want to go to one of the high-end restaurants! And all you need for your feet are slippahs! (Flip flops!)

And in the nicest possible way, I ask: why ever would you need "a little bit of home" in Hawaii? :-) You get to be home all the time... pack light and experience the warm sunshine and the slower pace of the island. The truth is, back when baggage was free, fuel on the mainland was $1 per gallon and the economy was in a different place -- more people were flying for pleasure and business. It's a different world now!

Hope you have a WONDERFUL vacation!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: chicago to honolulu to kona

Our family of 4 people did not check any bags-we just brought carry on bags that fit in the overhead. You can buy suntan lotion when you get to Hawaii. If you are worried about the bags then just carry them on. Just bring reading material or something to do for the flight-it will go by pretty fast.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: chicago to honolulu to kona

Wes,.....yes, I completely understood that you were continuing on to KOA all the same day.

My question to you was if the itinerary (both flights) is on the same "PNR" Passenger name Record.

As of late..(July 2012).....Hawaiian Air has changed their policy as to whether they will Interline bags( check through to final destination) if the booking is not on one PNR(booked at the same time)... Or all on Hawaiian. If not ,you must recheck in at HNL.....incur additional baggage fees and waste a whole lot of time!

I understand you are flying AA and HA ......so the booking would have to be on the same PNR(google it) for the most seamless travel.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: chicago to honolulu to kona

Thank you Wanderlust for always being a dependable source on airline policies!

I found some topics on the subject, explaining how the new policies on interlining were triggered by a DOT rule that came into effect last summer.

fodors.com/community/air-travel/new-baggage-…

iapa.com/index.cfm/…

consumertraveler.com/today/…

AA page on baggage

aa.com/i18n/…tips_baggage.jsp

HA page:

…hawaiianairlines.com/app/…1922

Quote from HA:

Connections between interline partner carriers must be made between 4 hours and the minimum connection time (varies), else it is considered a stopover and you will need to collect your bags and check back in. If you have a separate confirmation code for a connecting flight, please check in with an airport agent at your point of origin. Beginning June 1, 2012, Hawaiian will not through check bags to other airline flights unless the other airline segments are on the same itinerary for which the passenger is checking in.

Discussion of HA's new policy by frequent travelers to Hawai'i.:

airliners.net/aviation-forums/…24

As you are new to flying, may I also recommend that you check out the Air Travel forum on Tripadvisor. Go to the forums menu and you will find it under the beyond destination forums.

We can't really help you further until you inform us whether you are flying with both flights shown on one itinerary record. It's easy to check. What does your confirmation say? Do you only have one itinerary or do you have two?

Where this will hit people is if they wait to make their inter-island connections after snagging airfare that is too good to resist from the mainline, for example.

Pekin, Illinois...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: chicago to honolulu to kona

yes, it is all on one PNR...sorry, I've never flown before. But with your most recent info I believe I have all of that figured out now...thanks a whole bunch guys!!