We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

Hi. My husband and I will be spending about 16 days on the Big Island in Feb 2014. We want to spent about 8 days on each side.Is that a good ratio. I know Hilo is rainy, but sound like it's beautiful and lots of sightseeing for us. Zen cottage looks great. On Kona side we thought Sea Village Condo looked good. We may try snorkeling but would like a pool or hottub. One really nice golf game and maybe 2 regular ones. It's 30 below here this Feb. so it all sounds like paradise to us. Any helpful tips for us? We want to relax and drive around. Not much for sunning on the beach but want the scenery. Love this forum.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

In February, you run the risk of a week of brutal downpour such as we've had this week. When it rains this hard, it obliterates the scenery. You might not get that, but it's a risk.

The east side isn't a condo area.

I'm not a fan of the neighborhood below the Zen Cottage as there is crime there, and the Cottage is isolated as far as I can tell. Isolated is not really a good thing on the east side. The recession has caused a lot of desperation. Prior to the recession I felt really safe in rural areas here, now not so much.

I'd say 5 days east is plenty in winter.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 20:52
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

Have you read the new top questions on places to stay and things to do? Please give them a read through.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,805 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

Hilo has no condos I would recommend and only the one municipal golf course. The best choice of lodging in the Hilo area is a b&b or vacation rental. I like the North Hilo/Hamakua Coast area also. Volcano is also an option, with lots of cute lodgings, and has a (pretty rough and ready) golf course, and is also about 30 minutes from the golf course at Sea Mountain at Punalu'u which isn't very well maintained and can be very windy but has interesting scenery.

However, as KK points out, the weather can be downright miserable in Hilo and Hamakua in February. We've had nothing but torrential downpours for the past week where I live. Volcano can be in the 30s at night, and unlike in cold climates, most visitors don't have the clothes for it and the lodgings aren't heated well for the most part.

I personally wouldn't evenly divide your time for that reason, and also as golf and snorkeling interests you, plus there's just more to do on the west side. I'd divide it more like 11/5 or 12/4.

Read through the Top Questions on where to stay west side and east side, I prefer South Kohala to Kailua Kona, especially for weather, golf, scenery, and whale watching. In any case Sea Village wouldn't be recommended. Once you read through the TQs on where to stay and things to do and have a better focus on what area you want to stay in and why, post your nightly accommodation budget and we can better help you.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

Hi. We'll switch it to 5 days east side.Shame about the Zen cottage location. It looks so beautiful. Weill look for something less rural due to crime concerns you noted. I've read all about things to do, we won't be bored wherever we go.At one point we were considering south area Punaluu but far from everthing else so changed after reading all your advice. I'll keep searching Our budget is about 200/night. How about Haakus coast. We'll check out Kohala. Thanks

Edited: 24 February 2013, 21:10
California
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

I think even a big fan of Volcano's NP & Hilo would get a little restless after a few days on the Hilo side. I would only spend a few nights on the Hilo side and then find a nice condo property on the Kohala Coast and plant myself there and enjoy the warm sunny February weather.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

Hey Winnipeg,

February is a great time to escape the brutal YWG weather.......West side though!

Some locales on the east may have you thinking you are still in Wpg!! ( Joking...kinda)

I would spend the majority of my time in South Kohala( actually I do ..)... Where there are clear blue skies, little rain, and you are in close proximity to the Island's best beaches.

For me...a 2 night stay in Volcano would suffice.....otherwise too cold and rainy.It is amazing how the weather changes on the Big Island from district to district...on any given day.

With a 16 night stay...you could get some pretty good deals in either Waikoloa Beach Resort or Mauna Lani Resort........then head over to the East for those two nights when the weather appears to be cooperating.Accommodations on the East are usually quite a bit cheaper than the west side.Many folks will do a double book.....so as to get a long stay discount at their desirable west side location.

The return flights to the Mainland /Canada/YWG usually depart in the late evening...so when planning our accommodation dates we always select a unit that has availability for that last night as well.

Nothing worse than having to check out at 10 a.m......and then traipse around waiting for a 10p.m. Departure and the brutal 12 hr+ Travel time.Having the condo that last day thru to the next morning allows for a leisurely pace in order to swim, shower, dine, nap...while having your luggage secure. It is quite frankly the best money we spend.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 21:21
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

O baby it's cold outside! Ha. We'll check out the Waikoloa Beach Resort , Mauna Lani Resort and Outrigger Fairways. Maybe a short stay in Hilo or Volcano Thanks for the tip about checkout times! Great to have all this advice and lots of time to change our minds about where to stay.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,805 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

I'd actually suggest Hilo area over Volcano and stay 4 nights given what it looks like your interests are. Just be prepared for rain. If you read the TQs, KK has good suggestions on lodging options in Hilo.

You can do better than the Outrigger Fairway Villas in your budget range. I'd look at the Palm Villas at the Mauna Lani.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

We're looking for 1 bedroom with a lanai to BBQ. How's the Paniolo Club at Waikola for a base?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,805 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo rentals/golf on both sides of the island

Your budget allows for much better. Waikoloa Village is not the same as Waikoloa Beach, it's six miles up the hill, so you'll have to drive to any beaches or ocean, and it can get very windy up there. It can be a good option for people with much lower budgets who want to be closer to the beach and out of the vog of Kailua Kona, but it's not nearly as nice or as convenient as the Mauna Lani options, or even the Waikoloa Beach options.