We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
hotels

we will be in kailua kona from Dec 25 , 2013 - Jan 1, 2014.

I've been looking at 2 hotels :

1) King Kamehmeha resort

2)Royal kona resort.

Which would you guys suggest as far as location, CLEANLINESS. We will be renting a car for the week so also need parking, wifi etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated since we've never been to Hawaii.

Thank you.

California
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels

For the same price range I would pick the Marriott on the Kohala Coast. Better location and warmer/drier weather in December.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels

Thank you, I will check out their rates.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels

What would your nightly accommodation budget be?

There are numerous condo choices in South Kohala that offer triple the space , free parking and WiFi.

Something to consider perhaps. There are a couple that even offer maid service, if that is a concern.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,576 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels

Please read through the Top Questions on where to stay and things to do, right hand side of the main Island of Hawaii forum. The first step is to decide what interests you and what your priorities and budget are. That will help you choose whether Kona or the Kohala Coast is a better west side base.

Of the two hotels you list, the Courtyard King Kamehameha is far and away the best choice, however I prefer the South Kohala hotels for better weather and proximity to beaches and good ocean access. The Hapuna Prince is a good budget beach hotel. You can also sometimes find very good deals on the Fairmont Orchid, but you're coming during the most expensive time of year. Condos would be a good alternative.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 23:09
LA
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels

Make sure and get your car rental reservations made MONTHS in advance. October might be too late to get reservations. Rental cars will completely sell out over the Christmas holiday or exceed $1000 a week.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels

It's far from ideal to arrive on Christmas. Can you not arrive the day before? A great many things close on the 25th, including markets and most restaurants.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels

any suggestions as to where these condos are in south Kohala ? Any names for me please.

Thank you so much

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels

Kona is not my kind of place to stay. It's dumpy, crowded with cruise ship tourists, mediocre restaurants, muggy and cloudy, no beaches to speak of and filled with burned out hippies and transients. Kohala is the opposite. Great weather, beautiful beaches, fantastic restaurants, glorious resorts and very quiet. The down side is that Kohala can be pricier depending on where you stay and eat.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotels

I see your point, but the Kohala side is much much pricier - damn expensive. Am on a pretty tight budget......champagne taste with beer pockets as the saying goes. I was looking at the King Kamehameha in Kona which I can get partial ocean view for $1047.24 + tax for 7 nights. That's about the budget. Any suggestions ?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotels

When you talk about price here, can you please give us nightly rates and not weekly so we don't need to be dividing?

Christmas week rates are always higher, the highest of the year, so you would have to shop them using VRBO, looking at Waikoloa Beach.

You're going to have a problem arriving on Christmas though, staying in a condo when the stores are closed and it's very tough to even find dinner. Are you stuck with this arrival?