We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
Save Topic
Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

We'll be staying there for four nights/five days in late July. I was wondering if anybody had some ideas as to which rooms to request, which rooms to avoid? Also, if an upgrade is available, which type of upgrade would be worth it. My wife and I will be up[ and about quite a bit. Thanks in advance.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

Ok, I was able to find first hand info somewhere. Word is to stay away from the Palace Towers.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

I stayed in the Lagoon Tower when I stayed there. I had reserved an oceanfront room and that's where we ended up. I think the Ocean Tower would be okay too. Our room was really nice, it overlooked the dolphin lagoon so we could watch the dolphins during the day and could even hear them swimming around at night.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
887 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

On our first trip in 2005, using HiltonHonors points, we stayed in the Lagoon Tower because the Ocean Towers were being remodeled. The last 3 times we have been in the Ocean Towers. It is the furthest away from the lobby, but I love the walk!!

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/big-isla…

I have never stayed in the Palace Towers so I cannot really comment. The Dolphin Encounter buildings, IMHO, block ocean views from the ground level Lagoon Tower rooms. When we went in 2005, the buildings were not there. If you are given Lagoon Tower, ask for an upper level to get the best view. I mostly see families in the Lagoon Tower because of the Dolphin Encounter, which can get noisy. The Ocean Tower rooms are nice, and have great views from their lanais.

Re: Upgrades - always ask!! We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki, and asked if there were any upgrades, and received a 2 room suite! Beautiful. It also doesn't hurt if you are a HiltonHonors member too!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

ok, I'm hiding my Hyatt Passport card now :). I think I am a Hilton Honors member (not the credit card) but I have very few points. I know it's going to be in the middle of tourist season so I really don't expect an upgrade but I will ask for a high floor. Thanks for that tip. IThis is the second time I've heard about the Lagoon Tower. Hoping for that.

Our plan includes a trip to Hilo and then the National Park. Another side trip is to the Captain Cook area and visiting some of the coffee plantations along the way. I'd like to go the Mauna Kea summit but not on a tour. Maybe we can hook up with somebody with a 4 wheel drive and share expenses. I know, it's a long shot. Otherwise, the rest of the time will be beach/snorkeling time.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
887 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

:o)

We were able to enjoy 4 stays at the Hilton using points. Yes, not the credit card ;o)

Re: Mauna Kea. We have never been to the summit, only the Visitor's Center for the Stargazing program. We LOVE it! If you cannot get a tour to the summit, definitely do the Stargazing program. It is really awesome. http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/

Coming from the Waikoloa side, taking the Saddle Road, the drive up to the visitor's center is about 1 to 1-1/2 hrs from the hotel. Parking can been an issue, but we get there earlier enough to park in the lot. There are a few trails around the center. Many people hike up the side of the hills to see the sunset. It is pretty fun watching all the flashlights come down from the hills.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 23:02
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

Sounds neat. Take a coat? Can the rentals do Saddle Road? Is it a scary drive at night?

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
887 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

DEFINITELY take a coat, hat and gloves! It is amusing seeing some people in shorts and flip flops!

Rental cars are allowed on the Saddle Road, but not to the summit. Driving at night is a little easier because you can see oncoming traffic via their headlights. During the day, there are a couple of spots where you need to yield to oncoming traffic, can be tricky. If my MIL can do it - anyone can ;o)

One thing that we did last Christmas 2012, was the Manta Ray night dive. This was the most amazing thing we have ever done! We used Big Island Divers:

http://www.bigislanddivers.com/mantadive.html

I HIGHLY recommend this trip! Any of the companies that do this dive are awesome! My DH & DS are divers, and my FIL and I are snorkelers. Words cannot describe what a fantastic trip it is. Look on TA and search for Manta Ray dive. You will not be disappointed!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

I might have to do the manta ray thing by myself. There is absolutely no way in God's creation that I'll be able to talk my wife into this one. I got shot down REAL quick.]

I'm so close to getting certified but I don't know if I'll just do the snorkel thing.

I tried to get the video on the link to work but I only got the sound.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
887 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

When we looked into doing this, my DS, who is a certified diver, and had a run in with a White Tip Shark in Maui last year, really did not want to do this dive! When he did the 1st tank at twilight, he was the first one to spot a manta. He LOVED it! He was the last one to come up when they did the 2nd tank!! I snorkeled, and I had a manta come under me and circle 4 times! I do have to say that I said the S word ;o)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Waikola Village Hotel advise

Susie, I really would like to do the dive or snorkel. The wife is urging me to go for but no way in h311 she'll do it. Remember Cricky, for one. I'll probably decide at the last minute, even though it might be a little more expensive.