We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Dive Company - six pack?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alaska
Level Contributor
111 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Good Dive Company - six pack?

Last time we stayed on the Big Island I dove with Steve at Wanna Dive. I understand that he has moved on and now I am looking for another dive op. I dove with Jack's for one day and wasn't really happy with the huge amount of divers on board. I am looking for another small six pack dive boat like Wanna Dive. Any one? We will be staying in Kona and probably diving from Honokohau harbor.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,432 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Dive Company - six pack?

When are you coming? I actually prefer the dive sites and boats up north much of the year (not winter). Kohala Divers is good (and small). The Kona dive boats tend to be more crowded and go to busier sites that truthfully are not better. But if you're coming in late fall or winter do check with Jack's about smaller boat runs down south, which they sometimes do that are 6-8 pack,

Alaska
Level Contributor
111 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Dive Company - six pack?

Thank you. I will check out Kohala Divers.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Dive Company - six pack?

Does that mean that there's a reason not to dive in the north during winter or just that winter makes the southern sites less crowded ?

We're coming in winter and most of the daytime sites we are interested in are in the north. But I'd also like to do a Black water dive and the obligatory manta night dive, which only seem to be offered out of Kona.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,432 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Dive Company - six pack?

In winter the north swells often make the northern dive sites problematic. In summer, it's the south swells that affect southern and sometimes west facing sites, including many of the popular Kona dive sites.

If you're coming in summer, I'd wait to book the manta dive and black water dive until you're on island and can get a good surf forecast, particularly for the black water dive.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
885 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Dive Company - six pack?

We did 3 dives last December - 2 with Kona Divers and 1 (Manta Ray/Twilight dive) with Big Island divers. Could not have been more pleased! With Kona there were probably 12 people max with 3 people per dive master. I would recommend both dive companies and would definately use them again!

Kona Dive Company:

www.konadivingcompany.com/Pages/default.aspx

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60872-d12…

Big Island Divers:

http://www.bigislanddivers.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60872-d63…

Shady Cove, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Dive Company - six pack?

We used the Big Island Divers and loved them. We just were there last week and did the night manta dive. Highly recommended.

Shady Cove, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Dive Company - six pack?

We were just in Kona last week and used the Big Island Dive Company. Great customer service and the night manta dive was amazing.

8. Re: Good Dive Company - six pack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 07:19