We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ironman help!

Cary, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ironman help!

My husband and I just qualified for the Ironman(!!) and are hoping to find a place that can accommodate 10 people, possibly 12 if all goes as planned. We have been looking into a few different sites, but I thought advice from here might be more valuable. We plan to arrive Weds (10/9) and leave Mon (10/14), though I do realize many vacation rentals require a 10night minimum. We are hoping to find advice for places that are cheaper that do not require that 10night minimum if that's possible. Thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ironman help!

You can start by checking VRBO; you may need to rent two places. Try North Kohala, South Kohala and Kona Coast; when you find some places, then ask some specific questions re them here.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 23:30
Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ironman help!

Here's one in Waikoloa Village--up from the coastal road about 6 miles. It seems to be available for your dates and talks about sleeping more than the 12 that you would like. I looked at dates and saw several 5-star reviews, but I'm not reading thoroughly.

VRBO Listing #428476

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,779 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ironman help!

What have you found on VRBO? 10-12 people maxes out even the big rentals, and those are few. Two places would be easier to find, but check VRBO first.

You didnʻt say how many adults. One thing to consider with vacation rentals is that most have one (or two at most) bedrooms set up as masters. Often the other rooms will have two twin beds or lofts and sleeper couches come into play ... and shared bathrooms. If that is OK, fine. If not, getting two places will increase your bedrooms set up for couples. (Maybe that is unimportant, donʻt know.)

Expect a hefty deposit for a big house.

Take a look at the road closures for this year (google Kona Ironman 2013 road closures). Make sure any rental will be easy to get back and forth to.

BE SURE to check the rental car availability now, before anything else. Cars will sell out well before the date.

It is kind of late for planning Ironman, so you may not have a lot of choices. Feel free to post your candidates for finalist before you put down a deposit.

Be sure the owner or manager has an on island person for repairs.

Ask for current photos of the place.

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ironman help!

For car rentals, try discounthawaiicarrental.com (discount hawaii car rental)--e-mail them if you need to by requesting they find you vehicles, if you don't get "immediate confirmation" (tab on right of home page). They worked wonders for us in January.

Congratulations on qualifying! The Ironman and those who qualify are amazing.

By the way, I read more about the VRBO house I found and posted above--I really like it! The owners have done a great write up, tons of bedrooms, nice bedding, TWO refrigerators, and one thing re Waikoloa Village, it is a few degrees cooler up there, so that may feel good after a long, warm day down closer to the coast.

As KamaiinaK says, check out the access routes, etc. I know absolutely nothing about all of that!

Edited: 15 June 2013, 23:57
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,779 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ironman help!

I wouldnʻt say that Waikoloa Village is cooler than down near the ocean. The winds there are hot winds because they come from mauka over hot dry lava land, no ocean coolness to it.

On race day, to get to Kailua Kona, if you donʻt leave in the pre-dawn hours, you would need to go up Waikoloa Road to Mamalahoa Hwy and from there to upper Kailua Kona and maybe Palani road down, but how to get from the Palani intersection with Hwy 11 I do not know. Consult the map.

There is a wide taste in bedding, I guess. That was the part I didnʻt like, the bedding, curtains, and carpet. But I would not choose Waikoloa Village for the Ironman as a participant. I would stay somewhere in Kailua Kona and maybe to the south, where there are some deals.

I tried looking at some places, but several didnʻt publish their calendar, and those that have enabled the calendar were already booked for Ironman.

I like this location, but itʻs a tad pricey.

http://www.vrbo.com/469791

What is your budget, and how many bedrooms and baths do you want? The "sleeps" parameter is not so helpful.

You might take a look at this Sugar Shack house near Kahaluʻu, which is made into suites. It shows open at the moment, although it might be only partial availability.

http://www.vrbo.com/97506#calendar

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,779 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ironman help!

If you do shop to the south, be careful as to the location, the elevation, and read the reviews extra carefully. Be sure the reviews arenʻt too old. If you are up in Captain Cook, any pool will likely be cold, so be aware.

One reason I say stay south or in town, is that the route closures for the bicycle segment are to the north.

Cary, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ironman help!

Thank you so much for the responses! The guests include my husband and I (the Ironman participants), his father, both of my parents, his brother and sister-in-law and their 2-year-old, my friend and her boyfriend and his friend. Realistically, we could even do two houses as long as they are by each other. A friend who has raced it a few times suggested looking into some places on Alii...does anyone know good places on that road? He said they were like 2-2.5miles from the race site itself and the location of the places allow our families/friends to really get to see us a lot. I looked into the links you all posted and they do look great! I think one will definitely be a winner if we can't find one closer. Ideally, there are 10 of us (the kid doesn't count), so we figure if we each pay $500-600 total for lodging for the 5nights we are there, that would be perfect. Don't know if that is doable while also being close to the race site, but figure this is the best place to inquire about it!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,845 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ironman help!

I don't think you have a snowball's chance of getting any lodging in Kailua Kona over Ironman in that price range, especially on Alii Drive. Even low season rates you'd have serious difficulty finding a condo for five people at $100/nt. I would say you're probably looking at three times that. Maybe you can find something in the $200/nt range if you're willing to cram everyone into two bedrooms. And you need two such lodgings. It's going to be tough. But the only way to know is to jump on vrbo and start looking. Many rentals will have an Ironman week price in the rate details or it's included under the holiday rate.

One option would be to get much cheaper and larger condos up north and then maybe try to find something just for race night in Kailua Kona for the athletes.

If you haven't reserved rental cars I'd do that like yesterday.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 21:44
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,779 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ironman help!

I'm sorry, but the chances that someone will know of a rental for you are slim. You just have to do your own search on VRBO. We don't have time to find rentals for people. Doing a search should provide you with a realistic sense of the costs.

Good luck!

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ironman help!

Ironman Coeur d'Alene was here today. A friend's next door neighbor rented her house for 10k and had a bunch of drunk "Ironmen" that they had to call the police on. I would assume those who make it to Hawaii are better behaved, but I would be cautious before renting to them.

I'm sure those who, come to Hawaii are very serious athletes, but I assumed any Ironman participants were.