We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

A B
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

Hello Everyone,

We are planning a 7 nights trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep this year. We know the time is short to enjoy both the islands fully but we have to squeeze it out. Can someone please recommend decent places to stay in both? We want to spend more time in outdoor activities rather than relaxing at the resort. But the hotel should be safe too. We are planning to rent a car at both places. Right now kind of finalizing the airtravel from Atl.

thanks a lot

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

That allows about 7 full days assuming that you arrive late on your first day and depart late on the last day, so 3 days per island, a day of travel mid week and maybe a bit more time on one island as the move will take about 3/4 of a day.

With such a short amount of time, it would be best if you could tell us what interests you on each island and then others can make recommendations on where to stay.

One island would be a better choice.

A B
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

Thanks for replying. The flights we have looked at is currently arriving KOA in the evening and we are going to depart late night from LIH. We are planning to visit Volcano Park, do hiking, snorkeling, ATV tour...

would all these be possible during 31st Aug to 7 Sep?

thanks again

LA
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

You have allowed so little time that you aren't going to get your wishlist on The Big Island.

If you fly into Kona, you are going to spend at least 3 hours each day in the car driving.

Fly into Hilo and stay one or two nights in Hilo or Volcano to see the park. Then fly to Kauai.

Or stay the entire time on Hawaii or Kauai.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

Agree......one Island with so little time. If 7 nights is all you have and 2 Islands are a must.....make it 2smaller Islands...such as Maui and Kauai....not BIG Island. You will barely scratch the surface, spend most of your week in the car and Airports.

If you do go with 2 Islands(not advised)..... Be sure to fly into one and back to the Mainland from the other.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,253 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

On Kauai, I would try to stay on the north shore.

If you really want help with lodging, I would post that on each island - listing your nightly budget and what you are looking for - condo, cottage, hotel, etc. I do agree with the others though - I would just pick one island. While Kauai is a smaller island, it would take a week to really see and enjoy just that smaller island, even more time for the Big island. :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

If VNP is your priority for the BI, and it's a must for this trip, then I agree... fly into Hilo, spend 2 nights in Volcano and fly out of Hilo to Kauai. Skip Kona altogether & focus on water activities on Kauai. Or skip Kauai and spend 2 nights on the east side of the BI and 5 on the west (preferably S. Kohala coast for the better beaches, snorkelling and free of vog.)

A B
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

We might look into the itinerary mentioned by Susan

If VNP is your priority for the BI, and it's a must for this trip, then I agree... fly into Hilo, spend 2 nights in Volcano and fly out of Hilo to Kauai. Skip Kona altogether & focus on water activities on Kauai

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,707 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

The problem is there is no decent snorkeling on Kauai. The BI is much better for that and is in fact the best in the state (although I'd focus on the Kohala Coast, not Kona).

Since you haven't booked flights, why is it a "must" to do two islands? All of your wish list can easily be done on the BI, it makes no sense to me to try to add Kauai, or just fly into the BI for VNP and then on to Kauai when you have an interest in snorkeling. You'll be adding several hundreds of dollars in interisland flights and wasting a good chunk of your precious vacation time traveling unnecessarily.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

A B ... I actually like my second suggestion better ... for the reasons Shea mentions. We've done two islands in 10 days ... e.g. 2 days on Waikiki and 8 days on Maui, did the same with Kauai. Inter-island flights take too much time out of a short vacation and now we wouldn't change islands unless we had 10 days on each.

Two weeks on one island is ideal ... one week is OK ... but one week/two islands is not really worth it. I didn't really think that suggestion through too well when I posted it. You'll have more fun staying on one island and not having to deal with being in airports and picking up/returning another car rental.

Hopefully you'll reconsider before booking those flights.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 22:15
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Kona and Kauai in Sep 1st Week

It's not a question of enjoying both islands fully. Even seven days on one island is not enough for "fully." This is not enough time for even partial ... You are wasting an entire day of a short vacation.

If you must, be sure to factor in Labor Day weekend. This is also the Aloha Festival. Cars will be in short supply during the holiday, so don't book air without first securing both car rental and lodging that works for you.

If you arrive late at KOA, you cannot make it to Volcano, so I would suggest the King Kamehameha Marriott to start with a transit to Volcano. Many rentals there, take a look at Kilauea Lodge if you want more of an inn. There are no real hotels there other than the overpriced Volcano House in the actual park.

Fly out of Hilo to Kauai. It is two air segments to Kaua'i from either ITO or KOA, and the base pricing is the same for any segment-- prices go up as seats sell out fare tiers.

This is really a poor plan ... There's little that could make it good, especially if your choice of flights from ATL mandates a KOA arrival.