We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have time to squeeze in this last activity??

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Do I have time to squeeze in this last activity??

Visiting Big Island mid Oct. to celebrate 30 years of wedded bliss. The last night we are on the island is Monday 10-21. 2013. Our plane leaves KOA at 10:45 pm. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether we would be able to take the Spirit of Kona sunset dinner cruise (5:30 to 7:30pm) from Kona pier, drop off rental car, check bags, security and still make flight? Would appreciate drive times from pier to airport, ease of dropping off car etc. to help make up my mind. Thanks for any advice!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,122 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I have time to squeeze in this last activity??

Time isn't an issue. From the pier to the airport is less than a half hour so you'd have plenty of time. I just wonder if you wouldn't find it a better use of your time to have dinner at the Four Seasons. The dinner cruise is woefully mediocre IMO and I'd be very hesitant to leave luggage in the car at the pier area parking lots.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I have time to squeeze in this last activity??

Iʻve taken one dinner cruise here, not this one, but I didnʻt like it at all.

#1, the boat was pitching side to side and it was impossible to eat in comfort because I had to hold my drink and my plate both or they would immediately slide off onto the floor, and that left me no hand for holding an eating implement.

#2 the food was not anything I would be excited to eat.

And I picked the cruise as a fun thing to do, but it really was not.

#3 The sunset was hazed out by the vog, leaving from Kailua pier.

YMMV, just sharing my take.

I would not leave my luggage in the car at the pier either, and I too would recommend dinner on the sand or next to the sand at the 4S.

3. Re: Do I have time to squeeze in this last activity??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona