We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glad I stayed in Kona

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Glad I stayed in Kona

I had intentions of looking at staying in the Kohala region at one of the resorts, but deciding on accommodation frustrated me and ended up booking in at the Courtyard King Kamehameha in Kona. Glad I did. Those resorts are a good 30 minute drive to Kona if you wanted restaurants and shops etc.

I know for some people resorts suit them if they just want to hang around there, but I prefer to be near things that are more accessible and within walking distance.

I did drive through the various resorts and tried to recall the places that I did look into and I can say that the areas were absolutely beautiful....but like I said, I like to be near things.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glad I stayed in Kona

Vanessa...thanks! Some of us are simply NOT resort people! We've loved Kona for nearly 40 years! I'm glad that someone else does too!

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glad I stayed in Kona

I'm not a resort person either, but I would rather drive less than 5 minutes to a great swimming/snorkeling beach than 30 minutes. I have found restaurants and shopping convenient in the Kohala area. Different strokes. I have no agenda, just personal preference. I do miss the ocean view from my condo.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 04:20
Canada
Level Contributor
9,126 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glad I stayed in Kona

There is indeed something for everyone on the Big Island!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glad I stayed in Kona

We did visit Hapuna Beach though, as it was one of the recommended beaches according to the Big Island Guide, which was our bible and found it invaluable. Did want to go to another beach at one of the resorts, but you had to be there super early as they only let 40 cars in and passes are gone by like 9am.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,809 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glad I stayed in Kona

I really don't understand this post. There are plenty of restaurants and shops (better ones IMO) around the Kohala Coast than in Kailua Kona. The only beach at a resort that you have to get to early to get a parking pass at is Kauna'oa at the Mauna Kea. There are no passes or restrictions on passes anywhere else, and there are quite a few beaches that aren't even in "resorts".

Edited: 18 September 2013, 07:21
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,809 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glad I stayed in Kona

Also, if it were true that you had to be a given beach early, wouldn't you rather be five minutes away than an hour away?

7. Re: Glad I stayed in Kona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 17:35
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,911 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glad I stayed in Kona

Good to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Kailua Kona. Although it wouldn't be our choice, I know that others enjoy staying there. It's nice to have choices.

Re, "I know for some people resorts suit them if they just want to hang around there,..." We stayed at a resort (Mauna Lani) but spent a lot of time exploring rather than just staying at the resort. It was a good base for day trips and close to great beaches, one of them being right on the resort grounds. Shopping and restaurants were within walking distance (or a short drive to Waikoloa Resort.)

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
625 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glad I stayed in Kona

Glad you liked staying in Kona ... As we did also. We are low key, low budget travelers, and found many more options for eating in the Kona area. Sorry, but we just can't afford the higher restaurant prices around those resorts. For us, it was hard to find "cheap eats" in the Kohala area. It definitely has the most beautiful beaches however!

Thanks for giving voice to those who enjoyed their stay in Kona!

Maryland
Level Contributor
123 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glad I stayed in Kona

Vanessa,

What were the highlights for you in Kona?