We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we bring avocados home?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Can we bring avocados home?

Leaving tonight after two great weeks here in Kona. I will leave reviews of restaurants, lodging, etc but have a quick question. We have two unripe, beautiful avocados left. Can I take them home in my carry on? Please help...

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we bring avocados home?

aphis.usda.gov/travel/hawaiian_products.shtml

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/travel-shipping-information/traveling-from-hawaiʻi-to-the-u-s-mainland/

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we bring avocados home?

No you can't...

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we bring avocados home?

I guess itʻs time to pick someone who will appreciate them or leave them for housekeeping?

Thanks for that great link, genx. :)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we bring avocados home?

Thanks for the info...I guess along with their tip, the housekeepers will get our beautiful avocados. What a great trip...like Florida on steroids..but more peaceful..aloha and mahalo for all the info before and during our trip...

California
Level Contributor
790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we bring avocados home?

Those big Hawaiian avocados are so great, aren't they? We usually leave items for the maids: fruit, sodas, etc. Hopefully, they take them home instead of tossing. We'll be in Kona in less than a week, and I can already taste the great fruit, especially papayas....yum.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we bring avocados home?

I actually think the small avos are much better than the oversized ones, BobandDi. Large avo fruit is typically more watery than the firm flesh of the small or medium ones. We certainly do have a lot of wonderful different species of avo here though, and not all the big ones are like that, just the ones that are descended from the Florida type, which typically come in summer when the Haas types are not producing.

California
Level Contributor
790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we bring avocados home?

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for them, and I hope the white pineapple is in season. Have never tried that. The fruits of Hawaii are one of the big draws for me. Island fruit every morning.....a treat to wake up to.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we bring avocados home?

We always want what we canʻt have all the time. :)

Me, I would be excited to have a really good fresh peach or nectarine or canteloupe, but Iʻm sick of mangos! And papayas I should eat but I donʻt buy them. If my tree is producing ... I never get tired of avo or banana though.

The fruits I grew up with are not very good here, picked green, not much flavor. Melons, for instance. At least we do have Waimea strawberries.

I hate to say it, but it is late for white pineapple -- but canʻt hurt to look. My plants produced all summer and none are ripe now. (It takes 18 months to 2 years for each fruit to ripen.)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we bring avocados home?

>>>>"I'm sick of mangos! And papayas I should eat but I don't buy them."

That's sacrilege KK.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 06:05
California
Level Contributor
790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can we bring avocados home?

"I hate to say it, but it is late for white pineapple." :-( Ah, well, the yellow will be good too.

I just love your papayas, not the strawberry kind, just the plain orange variety. We can buy them in our markets, but they never have much flavor, and they're very expensive. I'm going to have one every morning. Yes, I know they have laxative properties, so maybe I'll have to skip a day or two.